Forum: Ruby Event framework?

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Daa61d3c632216dc6705c648d070ad0f?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Thomas (Guest)
on 2006-01-03 20:39
(Received via mailing list)
I dabble in home automation and am looking for a framework that would
allow me to monitor and react to serial port events. I'm a long-time
Perl user and if anyone is familiar with POE, that's the type of
framework I'm looking for (an Inversion-of-Control framework where I
have agents running in separate threads monitoring serial ports,
triggering events in the main code). I've perused RAA and seen a few
possibilities, but don't see anything recently maintained. Is there a
good match for the type of thing I'm looking to do?

There are several new home automation technologies available now and
they don't yet have serial drivers, so I figure it would be a good time
to attempt the switch to Ruby. Besides, I'm moving to Ruby, VA next
month, so I figure I'd better start learning the language! :-)

- Mark.
5befe95e6648daec3dd5728cd36602d0?d=identicon&s=25 Robert Klemme (Guest)
on 2006-01-03 21:06
(Received via mailing list)
Mark Thomas <mrt@thomaszone.com> wrote:
> they don't yet have serial drivers, so I figure it would be a good
> time to attempt the switch to Ruby. Besides, I'm moving to Ruby, VA
> next month, so I figure I'd better start learning the language! :-)
>
> - Mark.

IIRC there was a discussion about this recently.  You might find it by
searching the archives at
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/ruby/ruby-talk/index.shtml

Kind regards

    robert
Daa61d3c632216dc6705c648d070ad0f?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Thomas (Guest)
on 2006-01-03 22:15
(Received via mailing list)
Robert Klemme wrote:
> > There are several new home automation technologies available now and
> > they don't yet have serial drivers, so I figure it would be a good
> > time to attempt the switch to Ruby. Besides, I'm moving to Ruby, VA
> > next month, so I figure I'd better start learning the language! :-)
> >
> > - Mark.
>
> IIRC there was a discussion about this recently.  You might find it by
> searching the archives at
> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/ruby/ruby-talk/index.shtml

>From this, I have gleaned the following:
- Ruby/Event is now dead.
- IO::Reactor has been stuck at 0.0.6 since 2003 (effectively dead)
- event-loop looks promising.
- there are a few others, mostly in alpha stages, that focus on file
descriptors
- I have asked a similar question before (Sorry, forgot!) but
event-loop wasn't announced at that time.

I think I'll try out event-loop.

Thanks,
- Mark.
Aa5ad008ab6fe740e68e73367cec9077?d=identicon&s=25 Lawrence Oluyede (Guest)
on 2006-01-04 12:18
(Received via mailing list)
Il 2006-01-03, Mark Thomas <mrt@thomaszone.com> ha scritto:
> they don't yet have serial drivers, so I figure it would be a good time
> to attempt the switch to Ruby. Besides, I'm moving to Ruby, VA next
> month, so I figure I'd better start learning the language! :-)

If you don't complain about the language Python community has Twisted
Matrix
- http://www.twistedmatrix.com - that seems just what are you looking
for.
Daa61d3c632216dc6705c648d070ad0f?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Thomas (Guest)
on 2006-01-04 18:14
(Received via mailing list)
Yes, I considered Twisted. But it evidently has a VERY steep learning
curve; many experienced Python people are put off by it. If I had to
resort to a non-Ruby solution I'd use POE, but really I'd like to find
a Ruby solution.

Thanks,
- Mark.
9dfe8c734b0f9b37a4e218425c0a2138?d=identicon&s=25 Gene Tani (Guest)
on 2006-01-04 18:50
(Received via mailing list)
Mark Thomas wrote:
> Yes, I considered Twisted. But it evidently has a VERY steep learning
> curve; many experienced Python people are put off by it. If I had to
> resort to a non-Ruby solution I'd use POE, but really I'd like to find
> a Ruby solution.
>
> Thanks,
> - Mark.

There's another wa;y to register callbacks etc which i haven't tried
http://phrogz.net/RubyLibs/rdoc/classes/EventTarget.html

also, have you looked at the new Oreilly Twisted book.  It has  a nice
cookbook-y feel to setting up clients and servers for existing
protocols, rather than rolling your own, altho Amazon review noted it's
a slim book and testing gets short shrift.
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.