Forum: Ruby on Rails RDOC and dot on mac

D4e51fd9554030ab55c379fdc1a34826?d=identicon&s=25 Keith Lancaster (klancaster)
All,
This is probably a bit more of a mac question, but here goes.
(Admission: I
posted this to ruby-talk as well....)

I am trying to use rdoc -d to generate class diagrams on a mac running
Tiger
(OS X 10.4) for a rails app. I managed to get dot installed, but now am
running into problems with dot looking for libraries that either do not
exist or are apparently in the wrong place. I probably made things worse
by
trying (at various times) both Darwin ports and i-installer. Can anyone
point me to instructions on getting this working?

BTW, the current error I am getting is

dyld: Library not loaded: /Local/DarwinPorts/lib/libpng.3.dylib
  Referenced from: /usr/local/bin/dot
  Reason: image not found

TIA,
Keith
8c403ee8b79d2640bbba7a1454137d58?d=identicon&s=25 Corey Jewett (Guest)
This would be kinda hackish, but you could download Graphviz[1] and
use the prebuilt dot buried inside of the .app package.[2]

Or maybe you just need Graphviz. I find quite a bit handier,
especially for large graphs.

Corey

1. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/
2. ./Graphviz.app/Contents/MacOS/dot

On Jan 2, 2006, at 5:01 PM, Keith Lancaster wrote:

> not
>   Reason: image not found
>
> TIA,
> Keith

Corey Jewett
cj@syntheticplayground.com
D4e51fd9554030ab55c379fdc1a34826?d=identicon&s=25 Keith Lancaster (klancaster)
on 2006-01-03 03:04
Corey Jewett wrote:
> This would be kinda hackish, but you could download Graphviz[1] and
> use the prebuilt dot buried inside of the .app package.[2]
>
> Or maybe you just need Graphviz. I find quite a bit handier,
> especially for large graphs.
>
> Corey
>
> 1. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/
> 2. ./Graphviz.app/Contents/MacOS/dot

Corey,
Thanks - I had actually tried that, but could not figure out how to use
the dot that is embedded. How do you tell rdoc to use that one?

Keith
D4e51fd9554030ab55c379fdc1a34826?d=identicon&s=25 Keith Lancaster (klancaster)
on 2006-01-03 06:39
Keith Lancaster wrote:
> Corey Jewett wrote:
>> This would be kinda hackish, but you could download Graphviz[1] and
>> use the prebuilt dot buried inside of the .app package.[2]
>>
>> Or maybe you just need Graphviz. I find quite a bit handier,
>> especially for large graphs.
>>
>> Corey
>>
>> 1. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/
>> 2. ./Graphviz.app/Contents/MacOS/dot
>>

> Corey,
> Thanks - I had actually tried that, but could not figure out how to use
> the dot that is embedded. How do you tell rdoc to use that one?
>
> Keith

Duh- got it working by creating a sym link to the dot file in the
graphviz directory. Guess I am still doing something not quite right,
since the output appears to be many diagrams, each of one source file. I
am looking for an overall class diagram.

Keith