Forum: Ruby-Forum.com Implementing NNTP

Cee68ef49e1e07dda471dbc72a2057c6?d=identicon&s=25 Will Schenk (combray)
on 2006-01-01 14:46
I'm interested in implemented an NNTP front end for rforum.  I've
written one for a rails based blog a number of months ago and I'd like
to clean it up and try to attach it to different piece of software.  I
have a few questions:

What is the module system mentioned in the road map?

Is there a better source of information other than trac?  i.e. irc
channel or something where people hang out?

A while ago i wrote the acts_as_nested_set helper in rails based upon
code i found poking around the source of rforum, so since you inspired
me to learn something new I'd like to give you something also.
3a83969376c805ef5b6042191fdb0ff3?d=identicon&s=25 Andreas S. (andreas)
on 2006-01-01 16:12
Will Schenk wrote:
> I'm interested in implemented an NNTP front end for rforum.  I've
> written one for a rails based blog a number of months ago and I'd like
> to clean it up and try to attach it to different piece of software.  I
> have a few questions:
>
> What is the module system mentioned in the road map?

It's not functional at the moment, and wouldn't be suited for something
like a NNTP server anyway.

I have written a NNTP server for another forum a few years ago. I
started porting it to RForum, but there hasn't been any progress lately.
I thought that mailing list integration would be more important, since
there are already some NNTP/Mailing list gateways.

If you want to give it a try you could probably make use of some of the
functions that were implemented for the mailing list gateway
(controllers/mailer.rb, lib/received_mail.rb) or my NNTP server skeleton
(http://rforum.andreas-s.net/trac/browser/trunk/server/). I don't trust
ActiveRecord to be thread safe, so a threaded server would probably need
a lot of mutexing to make it work reliably.

> Is there a better source of information other than trac?  i.e. irc
> channel or something where people hang out?

No, only this forum. I registered #rforum on freenode a long time ago,
but I'm pretty much the only one who knows about it, and I don't hang
out in IRC very often.

> A while ago i wrote the acts_as_nested_set helper in rails based upon
> code i found poking around the source of rforum, so since you inspired
> me to learn something new I'd like to give you something also.

That's a good idea :)

Andreas