Forum: Ruby Ruby PDA implementation?

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
33ec7e55a251c1be8d6febfd929aebbe?d=identicon&s=25 Greg Kujawa (gregarican)
on 2005-12-31 12:54
(Received via mailing list)
I asked this question a couple of months ago, and now am throwing it
out there again in case anything has changed. Has anyone out there
successfully ported Ruby over to the Windows Mobile platform yet?
Following the instructions in the wince folder of the Ruby source I
still cannot get it cross compiled using Microsoft Embedded MSVC Tools.
I have tried to no avail using various Ruby 1.8.x sources and the Ruby
1.6.8 source. Just curious if someone else is having better luck than
I...
353fe3d56d69c9745b4ffecef362dc4b?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
on 2006-01-04 23:20
(Received via mailing list)
Just blogged an article describing what I did to get Ruby running on my
iPAQ:
http://jason.stell.us/2006/01/ruby-on-ipaq-pocket-pc.html
33ec7e55a251c1be8d6febfd929aebbe?d=identicon&s=25 Greg Kujawa (gregarican)
on 2006-01-05 02:45
(Received via mailing list)
jst...@gmail.com wrote:

> Just blogged an article describing what I did to get Ruby running on my
> iPAQ:
> http://jason.stell.us/2006/01/ruby-on-ipaq-pocket-pc.html

I did this as well. The problem is that I receive Wince::Strerror error
messages when doing various things --- from executing a Ruby script
from the command line (like using 'ruby myScript.rb') to parsing xmlrpc
calls. It seems as if these binaries aren't compatible with my Dell
Axim x50 handheld. It has an ARM processor and it uses Windows Mobile
5.0. But for some reason the handling of strings isn't being done
correctly.

What OS is running on your iPaq? Can you successfully run Ruby scripts
from the command line? I can do things like ruby -e "print 'hello,
world!'" but that's about it without the Wince::Strerror messages. And
trying to cross-compile Ruby for Wince using Embedded MSVC fails due to
one compilation error or another using the sources for Ruby 1.8.1 all
the way through Ruby 1.8.4 :-(
33ec7e55a251c1be8d6febfd929aebbe?d=identicon&s=25 Greg Kujawa (gregarican)
on 2006-01-05 03:00
(Received via mailing list)
gregarican wrote:

> I did this as well. The problem is that I receive Wince::Strerror error
> messages when doing various things --- from executing a Ruby script
> from the command line (like using 'ruby myScript.rb') to parsing xmlrpc
> calls. It seems as if these binaries aren't compatible with my Dell
> Axim x50 handheld.

Here are a couple of links to my troubles I have had so far:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/brow...

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/brow...
353fe3d56d69c9745b4ffecef362dc4b?d=identicon&s=25 Jason Stell (Guest)
on 2006-01-05 21:48
Greg:

I'm running an iPAQ 5550 with an ARM processor and WinCE 2003.
I can call scripts successfully. For instance, the utility script I just
posted about works fine:
http://jason.stell.us/2006/01/unique-properties-re...
33ec7e55a251c1be8d6febfd929aebbe?d=identicon&s=25 Greg Kujawa (gregarican)
on 2006-01-05 22:18
(Received via mailing list)
Jason Stell wrote:

> Greg:
>
>
> I'm running an iPAQ 5550 with an ARM processor and WinCE 2003.
> I can call scripts successfully. For instance, the utility script I just
> posted about works fine:
> http://jason.stell.us/2006/01/unique-properties-re...
>
>

Perhaps it's a difference in the OS version. My Axim is running Windows
Mobile 5.0, so maybe there is a difference in the way that it handles
string values being passed. Thanks for the replies!
A4f708e0f3856e92b7ee83d1c4ee5c0e?d=identicon&s=25 Bas Wilbers (basaah)
on 2008-02-18 17:22
Hello

I am going to reply to this even do it is an old thread.

I don't know how to explain this correclty but I know the solution to
the Wince::Strerror error.

It is because the filesystem of windows mobile is different then you
think.
from pocketconsole I did this.

cd storage card\ruby\bin
ruby.exe hello.rb

hello.rb ruby is a file in the map "storage card\ruby\bin"
this gives me the error, what I thought at first is that there is an
error in the hello.rb file, however it means the file cannot be found.
because of the strange filesytem (it doesn't support relative paths)
you have to do this.

cd storage card\ruby\bin
ruby.exe "storage card\ruby\bin\hello.rb"

Now it will run correctly.
For me at least.

What also worked for me is this

cd storage card\ruby\bin
ruby.exe -e "require 'hello.rb'"

what strange is that in this require relative paths do work.
however if I put File.open "lalala.txt" stuff in hello.rb, then the file
is not as expected created in storage card\ruby\bin but in the root of
the ipaq.



Well I hope this is the solution of the problem for you, cause ruby on
the pda rocks (I can know because I have ruby on the pda since yesterday
:p)

btw I'm using an ipaq 1940 with windows mobile 2003 (maby SE but not
sure)

It is windows CE 4.20 according to Asset viewer.
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.