Forum: Ruby Syntax highligth with textile: Syntax+RedCloth ?

32edd0717b3144d5c58a352d613abdc9?d=identicon&s=25 gabriele renzi (Guest)
Hi gurus and nubys,

I was trying to mix RedCloth[1] with Syntax[2] and I'm
facing some small problems.
The idea is to forward parsing of <pre> tags to the HTML convertor
withouth touching the rest of the code.
I thought that I could subclass RedCloth and override #smooth_offtags
which seem quite nice since the starting <pre> tag is carried till that
point, which could allow, for example, parsing of something like
<pre lang="ruby">.

The problem is in the fact that RC escapes html entities before this
step, and thus when I call #convert on the string Syntax will tokenize
them and give back bad html.

Has someone ever faced this before and has an alternate solution?

thanks in advance.

[1]http://redcloth.rubyforge.org/
[2]http://syntax.rubyforge.org
82e62c756d89bc6fa0a0a2d7f2b1e617?d=identicon&s=25 Ross Bamford (Guest)
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:53:30 -0000, gabriele renzi
<surrender_it@-remove-yahoo.it> wrote:

> The problem is in the fact that RC escapes html entities before this
> step, and thus when I call #convert on the string Syntax will tokenize
> them and give back bad html.
>
> Has someone ever faced this before and has an alternate solution?

Yup, don't it just suck? In the end we introduced a 'macro' concept by
which we could exempt sections of code from formatting filters.

Have a browse around here:

	http://rubyforge.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/rote/lib/...

Particularly inside 'page.rb' and the 'filters' directory, which has
various filters including syntax and redcloth.
Ross Bamford ha scritto:
>> which seem quite nice since the starting <pre> tag is carried till
> Yup, don't it just suck? In the end we introduced a 'macro' concept by
> which we could exempt sections of code from formatting filters.

yeah, I was leaning to the same solution, even if I still want to try
out redefining to_html with something like
def to_html
  expand pre tags
  super
end

> Have a browse around here:
>
>     http://rubyforge.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/rote/lib/...
>
> Particularly inside 'page.rb' and the 'filters' directory, which has
> various filters including syntax and redcloth.

great thanks