Forum: Ruby on Rails Free "Agile Web Development with Rails" Text

F8042f3a023ca4f7cf1a6ed1f9531371?d=identicon&s=25 der Adler (Guest)
Hi All,

I'm a RoR n00b that has been lurking for a week or so. About two weeks
ago I bought the text version of Agile Web Development with Rails.
Today, I bought the .pdf version because I run a Sony Notebook and find
a .pdf more user friendly. Therefore I have the text to give away for
free. If anyone in the continental US would like the copy please let me
know and I'll mail it out.

Adler
2c9df8192dfebf429c5a8b8d9ba0f630?d=identicon&s=25 Mike Douglas (Guest)
On 12/30/05, der Adler <der.az.adler@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hi All,
>
>  I'm a RoR n00b that has been lurking for a week or so. About two weeks ago
> I bought the text version of Agile Web Development with Rails. Today, I
> bought the .pdf version because I run a Sony Notebook and find a .pdf more
> user friendly. Therefore I have the text to give away for free. If anyone in
> the continental US would like the copy please let me know and I'll mail it
> out.

I would be happy to take you up on that gracious offer. My current
residence is in Canada, could I pay extra shipping to have it sent
there?
01ec89b682c7ae076d25c39a70def227?d=identicon&s=25 Rick (Guest)
on 2006-01-02 19:05
Isn't re-distribution of the PDF illegal?
26977cf26556ab1a59cb5a7cb53bbf2c?d=identicon&s=25 Peter Dekkers (editkid)
on 2006-01-02 19:07
der Adler wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm a RoR n00b that has been lurking for a week or so. About two weeks
> ago I bought the text version of Agile Web Development with Rails.
> Today, I bought the .pdf version because I run a Sony Notebook and find
> a .pdf more user friendly. Therefore I have the text to give away for
> free. If anyone in the continental US would like the copy please let me
> know and I'll mail it out.
>
> Adler
>
>> Isn't re-distribution of the PDF illegal?

Yes, I'm quite sure it is, actually. Good book, though.
648805ae18e92b7c71e46f3caa23ddc8?d=identicon&s=25 Ed C. (Guest)
He offered to give away the physical version, not the digital version.
C9af522fc39d5de90f21119543c2b9ab?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Litt (Guest)
On Monday 02 January 2006 01:07 pm, Peter Dekkers wrote:
> > Adler
> >
> >> Isn't re-distribution of the PDF illegal?
>
> Yes, I'm quite sure it is, actually. Good book, though.

It's possible that he means he got the PDF plus BoundBook deal from
Practical
Programmers, and he wants to give away the (paid for) bound book. I
believe
that would be legal. If he means he's going to print the .pdf and give
it
away, that's illegal.

SteveT

--
Steve Litt
Author:

(Legal Disclaimer) Follow these suggestions at your own risk.
Ff63c03fd68754adbadd2c6314646bef?d=identicon&s=25 Bill Guindon (agorilla)
On 12/30/05, der Adler <der.az.adler@gmail.com> wrote:

and I edited a bit...

> About two weeks ago I bought the text
> version of Agile Web Development with Rails

> Today, I bought the .pdf version

> Therefore I have the text to give away for free.

I think it's safe to conclude that 'text' can be replaced with 'print'
(or 'book', or 'dead tree', or whatever you prefer).

--
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)
The best answer to most questions is "it depends".

I was talking about the textbook. It will be going to the first person
that asked for it.

Adler
B248b476e7962a659d9aa65c90540c5d?d=identicon&s=25 Kishor Silver (kishor)
on 2006-01-21 15:42
der Adler wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm a RoR n00b that has been lurking for a week or so. About two weeks
> ago I bought the text version of Agile Web Development with Rails.
> Today, I bought the .pdf version because I run a Sony Notebook and find
> a .pdf more user friendly. Therefore I have the text to give away for
> free. If anyone in the continental US would like the copy please let me
> know and I'll mail it out.
>
> Adler

hi adler i need one copy of the .pdf book if possible. would you send me
on my email id it is
:kishor_sil@yahoo.com,smkalavadia@yahoo.co.in
we are working on one of project in ruby on rails.
and if you have other type of documentation regarding ruby on rails
which will be helpful to us,so plz send,we are student and we are
working on ruby project
i am from india
your thankfully,
D4e51fd9554030ab55c379fdc1a34826?d=identicon&s=25 Keith Lancaster (klancaster)
on 2006-01-21 15:50
kishor silver wrote:
> der Adler wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm a RoR n00b that has been lurking for a week or so. About two weeks
>> ago I bought the text version of Agile Web Development with Rails.
>> Today, I bought the .pdf version because I run a Sony Notebook and find
>> a .pdf more user friendly. Therefore I have the text to give away for
>> free. If anyone in the continental US would like the copy please let me
>> know and I'll mail it out.
>>
>> Adler
>
> hi adler i need one copy of the .pdf book if possible. would you send me
> on my email id it is
> :kishor_sil@yahoo.com,smkalavadia@yahoo.co.in
> we are working on one of project in ruby on rails.
> and if you have other type of documentation regarding ruby on rails
> which will be helpful to us,so plz send,we are student and we are
> working on ruby project
> i am from india
> your thankfully,

Kishor,
With all due respect, you are asking for a stolen copy of the book. Buy
it. Period.
Af98a2ac84537f6723c44a39210eac46?d=identicon&s=25 Martin Marinschek (Guest)
A student from india ;)

Now it's still illegal to send him the pdf-version, but maybe Dave and
David will give him a copy for free ;) ?

regards,

Martin

On 1/21/06, kishor silver <kishor_sil@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Adler
>
> --

http://www.irian.at

Your JSF powerhouse -
JSF Consulting, Development and
Courses in English and German

Professional Support for Apache MyFaces
15c80c9bf8be5ba6e5eeac9cb0304464?d=identicon&s=25 ed theman (Guest)
just because you have the PDF doesn't mean you can give it away for
free.
Anyone who wants the books should support the Pragmatic Programmers and
buy
a copy.

ed
Da928ce3c7edebf59a461977e74c7919?d=identicon&s=25 Nate Drake (ndrake)
on 2006-01-21 16:57
If you decide not to send to Mike in Canada, I'd be interested in the
book.  Either way, very kind of you.

Nate
Cb6f29d740e3a8d7f407ca335031bd32?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Eichert (Guest)
I've found the best place to get the book is here:
http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/rails/

I'm sure the authors will think it's very kind of you to get it from the
appropriate place :)
Bcfc926d36e15709d7e6c70b9791211a?d=identicon&s=25 Vamsee Kanakala (Guest)
Martin Marinschek wrote:

>A student from india ;)

I have always wondered why none of the Pragmatic books are available in
India. Virtually every major book publisher (O'Reilly, Pearson,
Addison-Wesley, Prentice-Hall, etc) sell cut-price versions for the
Indian market (normally printed in India, so the cost works out very
cheap).

A lot of people keep asking me for books when I speak about RoR, I have
no answer, because I had to badger my cousin living in the US to buy me
a copy. Not everyone can do that, right?

Vamsee.
711eb56e970b483e2c9d929bd036a89e?d=identicon&s=25 Warren Noronha (Guest)
On 22-Jan-06, at 10:58 PM, Vamsee Kanakala wrote:

> have no answer, because I had to badger my cousin living in the US
> to buy me a copy. Not everyone can do that, right?

I would say this was a issue for me when Pragmatic Programmer just
released the first Pickaxe book, but since then a lot has changed. I
got my self the pdf as soon as it was released, and the same for
agile web development ( did not like this much since its too
newbieish ).

Coming back to the point, just get the pdf, and in 10 mins you will
have a copy :)

Dave and Andy, have partnered with Amazon and O'Reilly, so you can
contact those companies directly to get you a hard copy if you want
one too..

Best Regards,
Warren Noronha.
GNU (http://www.gnu.org.in)
5d06917e13b29bcff1c1609492c06873?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Thomas (Guest)
On Jan 23, 2006, at 12:58 AM, Vamsee Kanakala wrote:

> I have always wondered why none of the Pragmatic books are
> available in India. Virtually every major book publisher (O'Reilly,
> Pearson, Addison-Wesley, Prentice-Hall, etc) sell cut-price
> versions for the Indian market (normally printed in India, so the
> cost works out very cheap).
>
> A lot of people keep asking me for books when I speak about RoR, I
> have no answer, because I had to badger my cousin living in the US
> to buy me a copy. Not everyone can do that, right?

We're negotiating with an Indian publisher to have LPEs produced. The
Rails book won't be in the first set of books that get released (it
was too new at the time), but if the market works out, you'll see
more and more of our titles there.

Regards

Dave
01dcd647d65f131df96e3c0bc969dcb4?d=identicon&s=25 Arpan (Guest)
on 2006-01-23 18:21
> We're negotiating with an Indian publisher to have LPEs produced. The
> Rails book won't be in the first set of books that get released (it
> was too new at the time), but if the market works out, you'll see
> more and more of our titles there.

That sounds really exciting. I am a student in India.

I was able to purchase the Rails book, by asking permission to use a
friend's credit card. It was expensive for me, but I felt it was worth
it, since I had seen the Rails tutorials, and Rails just felt right.

I followed up by purchasing books on Ruby, Subversion and Ajax. The cost
pinched, but what I've learnt is worth it.

I'm working on paying of my student loan, and am using Rails for a
project of mine, and plan on using it for several more projects in the
future. I'm just waiting for my webhost to start supporting Rails.
Perhaps in a year! :-)

Arpan
Dave Thomas wrote:

> We're negotiating with an Indian publisher to have LPEs produced. The
> Rails book won't be in the first set of books that get released (it
> was too new at the time), but if the market works out, you'll see
> more and more of our titles there.

Woohoo. Thanks Dave. I hope the Rails book follows very soon!

Vamsee.
D1fb4423204d9440a1b7aacce50eb641?d=identicon&s=25 Corey Lawson (Guest)
<i>just because you have the PDF doesn't mean you can give it away for
free</i>

actually, yes it does. They're two separate publications.

There is nothing preventing someone from doing what they want to with
the
physical book if they decide that the PDF version meets their needs.
Owning
the PDF is not predicated on owning the book or vice versa.

Nor would there really be any restriction per se of someone disposing of
their PDF versions (resale, giveaway) if they destroyed the copies on
their
computers. But, since the PDFs are personalized to the purchaser, if the
person you transfer your PDF to posts copies of it on bittorrent, say,
then
factor in that there will be lots of PDF files on the Net with *your*
name
on them...
On Jan 24, 2006, at 1:24 AM, Corey Lawson wrote:

> <i>just because you have the PDF doesn't mean you can give it away
> for free</i>
>
> actually, yes it does. They're two separate publications.

I believe the original poster meant "you can't give it away to
multiple people for free." Substitute "may not" for "can not" and the
statement is true.

Our unique scheme of selling non-DRM'd books is predicated on our
readers being fair and responsible--clearly the model breaks down if
lots of folks pirate the books to others.

So far our readers have been wonderful, and the PDFs remain
unrestricted.

Thank you for that

Dave
2dd904ec5981c31e7bb7a5743a53caf8?d=identicon&s=25 Bruce Balmer (brucebalmer)
Dave:

You have probably heard this a couple of thousand times, but AWDWR
is  a great book. Its worth 10x the price (funny what books sell
for).  The fact that I could get it as a PDF was just awesome.  It's
cheaper, saves trees, lighter when I travel, faster to search...
well, I'm sure you know the list and that's why you came up with the
idea.  Anyhow...summary:  Thanks.  I hope you author MANY more.

And as for people trying to grab stuff for free, you know, it just
doesn't work (for the people who don't pay).  I am an author and used
to give courses on extreme human performance.  Some people would try
to rip off my stuff. The problem was that if they valued it, they
would happily pay for it and if they would not pay for it, they could
never use it.  All progress requires work. The attempt to get things
without paying becomes endemic in an individuals character and
prevents them from getting anywhere with what they have stolen.

I wrote that not to you, but to whoever else might be reading it.
I'm sure that most of the people on this list are easily smart enough
to appreciate and pay for fine, quality work.

As I once wrote in the front of a book of mine which people often
borrowed

"This book is my property. Thus, I invite you to return my book and
grow as a person. Honesty is its own reward, whose depths are
boundless. "

Bruce

PS. For those of you reading this who think I might be dumb - I am
not referring to crime not paying as in "money" but rather in a more
profound sense that that.  People acquire money to be happy but those
who try to receive more than they give, never do become happy.  A
curious fact, that one and a fact much overlooked.
32d1b70dcff9066a90976c0fb18acabe?d=identicon&s=25 Neil Dugan (Guest)
Bruce Balmer wrote:
> doesn't work (for the people who don't pay).  I am an author and used
>
> who try to receive more than they give, never do become happy.  A
>>
>> Our unique scheme of selling non-DRM'd books is predicated on our
>>
>> Dave

I would much rather pay the author directly for a PDF than buy a book
and also pay the printing company, shipping company, distributor, shop
etc.

If the author of 'agile web development with rails' agree's please
contact me directly.

Regards Neil.
90d386f9d88787fbda3ecb86228cbc08?d=identicon&s=25 Guest (Guest)
on 2006-01-26 02:11
der Adler wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm a RoR n00b that has been lurking for a week or so. About two weeks
> ago I bought the text version of Agile Web Development with Rails.
> Today, I bought the .pdf version because I run a Sony Notebook and find
> a .pdf more user friendly. Therefore I have the text to give away for
> free. If anyone in the continental US would like the copy please let me
> know and I'll mail it out.
>
> Adler

I cannot believe how many people read this, thought you were offering to
give away the .pdf version, and then commented.

Reading for detail must no longer be taught....
82476266af9d460415d8f1fc16bb54ed?d=identicon&s=25 Jarkko Laine (jarkko)
On 26.1.2006, at 2.09, Neil Dugan wrote:

> I would much rather pay the author directly for a PDF than buy a
> book and also pay the printing company, shipping company,
> distributor, shop etc.
>
> If the author of 'agile web development with rails' agree's please
> contact me directly.

Neil,

You can buy the pdf version of AWDwR from http://
www.pragmaticprogrammers.com