Forum: Ruby on Rails Execute as a service

Ed64e53a0563c9dfe83634024314b6a1?d=identicon&s=25 Josu Lazkano (Guest)
Hello,

I am new in this mail list. I want to ask about the execution of the
Rails service.

I normally execute the rails process this way:

rails server

This way I can not log out and keep the service running. Is there any
way to execute as a service? something like apache2?
(/etc/init.d/apache2 start)?

Thanks and regards.

--
Josu Lazkano

> I normally execute the rails process this way:
>
> rails server
>
> This way I can not log out and keep the service running. Is there any
> way to execute as a service? something like apache2?
> (/etc/init.d/apache2 start)?

Try:   rails server --help

http://about.me/hassanschroeder
twitter: @hassan
A47e0a6beeb9d048ff054fc1c3a97418?d=identicon&s=25 Walter Davis (walterdavis)
On Jun 26, 2014, at 9:01 AM, Josu Lazkano wrote:

> way to execute as a service? something like apache2?
> (/etc/init.d/apache2 start)?

Here's a quick overview with a lot of options:
http://rubyonrails.org/deploy/

I used Passenger for my first sites, it was just about as easy as PHP
deployment.

Walter
Ed64e53a0563c9dfe83634024314b6a1?d=identicon&s=25 Josu Lazkano (Guest)
Thanks!

I execute as daemon (rails server -d), and it works well.

I read about Passenger, it looks really interesting.

Best regards.

--
Josu Lazkano
Josu Lazkano wrote in post #1150848:
> Thanks!
>
> I execute as daemon (rails server -d), and it works well.
>
> I read about Passenger, it looks really interesting.

I actually use Passenger standalone for development and Passenger on the
server for deployment. Works great for me.

I don't, however, typically run my server in development as a daemon
process. Instead I run it in a separate shell so that I can easily
monitor the development log as it displays in the terminal window. Then
I use the other shell to execute commands. So I just have two tabs in my
Terminal app... well actually three, where the third is running guard so
I can see the results of my texts as I develop.

https://www.phusionpassenger.com
http://guardgem.org
Ed64e53a0563c9dfe83634024314b6a1?d=identicon&s=25 Josu Lazkano (Guest)

> https://www.phusionpassenger.com
> http://guardgem.org

Thanks Robert,

Do you use Passenger with Apache2? I want to try it. Could you guide
me with some steps?

Best regards.

--
Josu Lazkano