Forum: Ruby on Rails Blank pages, 'missing default helper path rails_info_helper'

John Martin (Guest)
on 2005-12-29 05:27
Environment:
* OS X 10.4.3
* Ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [powerpc-darwin8.0]
* Rails (1.0.0, 0.13.1)
* WEBrick 1.3.1
* Following the wiki directions, I did the OSX fixrbconfig thing,
installed Rails, MySQL, etc..

Please bear with me, I'm new to Rails.

I successfully followed the 'depot' application from the Agile Web
Development with Rails book, building it piece by piece with no
problems.

I then went to start a new Rails project in a clean empty directory
using the command 'rails testing' without problems. When I started the
server, I could access the default index page, but nothing else would
work. Not even the "About your application's environment link" on the
index page.

Worse, any page I accessed besides the default index page results in no
data/blank page, and WEBrick entry that looks like:

<code>127.0.0.1 - - [28/Dec/2005:23:00:46 EST] "GET /aaa HTTP/1.1" 500
0</code>

That happens no matter which URL I access, including a controller/action
I built, a controller that doesn't exist, and like I mentioned, the
/rails_info/properties that's called on the "About your application's
environment link."

I've tried deleting my Rails project, recreating it, creating some
controllers, scaffolding, etc.. tried copying my working
config/databases.yml to config/, etc. Absolutely no difference.

And yet if I go back to my depot directory and start the server, that
one still works perfectly.

I haven't changed anything since I first built the depot app a few days
ago. I can't think of what's going on. Any ideas? I'm dying to build
more stuff.
John Martin (Guest)
on 2005-12-29 05:45
Oops, assumed Textile formatting.

One thing I forgot to mention. The only logged error I do see is this
one when trying to access in environment-link on the default index page:

Controllers::RailsInfoController: missing default helper path
rails_info_helper

No other errors get logged. I even tried to add a controller with a
corresponding action that did logger.error("testing"), but that didn't
get logged.

Weird, huh?
John Martin (Guest)
on 2005-12-29 05:59
John Martin wrote:

> Oops, assumed Textile formatting.
>
> One thing I forgot to mention. The only logged error I do see is this
> one when trying to access in environment-link on the default index page:
>
> Controllers::RailsInfoController: missing default helper path
> rails_info_helper
>
> No other errors get logged. I even tried to add a controller with a
> corresponding action that did logger.error("testing"), but that didn't
> get logged.
>
> Weird, huh?

Never mind. Found this in today's IRC log:

[06:41] <purestorm_> Does anyone have an idea why webrick is launching
RoR with 1.0 rails? I'm trying to access http://127.0.0.1:3000/foobar on
a fresh rails application (read: foobar is not valid) and I get blank
pages. I'm on Os X and have ruby 1.8.2
[06:44] <purestorm_> I removed /tmp/ruby_sess*
[06:44] <purestorm_> and it works ... strange
Ryan Raaum (Guest)

Maybe try clearing the sessions?  `rm /tmp/ruby_sess*`

-r

On 12/28/05, John Martin <spacehaven@mac.com> wrote:
> I successfully followed the 'depot' application from the Agile Web
> data/blank page, and WEBrick entry that looks like:
> controllers, scaffolding, etc.. tried copying my working
> --

Ryan Raaum
http://www.rockefeller.edu -- Bacterial Pathogenesis and Immunology
http://www.worldmartial.com -- Black Belt Instructor