Forum: Ruby on Rails Handcar on Rails

59528506e6297141161afcde91d677c9?d=identicon&s=25 Codeblogger (Guest)
Dear Friends of Rails, I would like to make a suggestion:

There are two famous (German) projects out there: SelfHTML [1] and
SelfPHP [2], which are some kind of on- and offline (!) documentations.
They contain a nearly complete reference and some tutorials.

Is anyone interested in helping me to build something similar for Rails?

I just have some ideas (like the name and the domain: handcar.de), so
any help will be appreciated.

With kind regards

Nicolai Reuschling

__
[1] http://selfhtml.org/
[2] http://www.selfphp.de/
0d8c23681553579a623e9d0cd22ee5bc?d=identicon&s=25 Tracy Phillips (Guest)
Codeblogger wrote:
> There are two famous (German) projects out there: SelfHTML [1] and
> SelfPHP [2], which are some kind of on- and offline (!) documentations.
> They contain a nearly complete reference and some tutorials.

Nicolai,

If I understand you correctly, I think devboi already does this, online
and offline for Ruby on Rails (firefox anyway):

http://devboi.mozdev.org

Tracy
59528506e6297141161afcde91d677c9?d=identicon&s=25 Codeblogger (Guest)
> Nicolai,
>
> If I understand you correctly, I think devboi already does this, online
> and offline for Ruby on Rails (firefox anyway):
>
> http://devboi.mozdev.org
>
> Tracy

Tracy,

thanks for the link. I wasn't aware of that Firefox plugin.
It looks pretty neat, but isn't this just a link collection to online
documents. I had a solution in mind, having all the files offline in
HTML files. Anyway I will have a second look at it.

Nicolai
E93ace22ca8642bb732b05f796abd5c5?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Teare (Guest)
I just installed devboi and it's fairly nice.  It has CSS/HTML docs too
which is a great bonus.  As for offline capability, notice that there
are 2 separate downloads - one for online, one for offline.  You also
need to install Rails support separately.

One thing that's missing (AFAIK), is search.  Often I know a section of
the name of something I need, but not what class it's in.  The FF search
seems to ignore the devboi frame, even when it has focus.

On Wednesday, December 28, 2005, at 4:16 PM, Codeblogger wrote:

>thanks for the link. I wasn't aware of that Firefox plugin.
>It looks pretty neat, but isn't this just a link collection to online
>documents. I had a solution in mind, having all the files offline in
>HTML files. Anyway I will have a second look at it.
>
>Nicolai

Cheers!
--Dave.