Forum: Ruby on Rails Unit tests, Fixtures, Authority Data, Oh my!

Efe398b3b5436b0a8d4430090e8f86ea?d=identicon&s=25 subimage interactive (Guest)
Yo guys...

I'm starting to get into testing my current e-commerce Rails app before
Engine-ify it...(Codename "Substruct" - don't sleep!)

I've got some data that should be loaded before each test. Convention
tells
me that I should prepare this data in nice YML files as fixtures,
although
I'm not quite so sure.

The data in question is a country list (upwards of 200 items), order
status
codes, and shipping codes (fedex, ups, dhl, etc) amongst other things.
All
standard stuff that's needed in tests and in the real production app.

I have all of the default values in a SQL file that I load for new
applications with a Rake task. I really don't want to duplicate that
information in fixtures - especially the huge country list.

I've been calling that Rake task in the "setup" method - which works
sometimes. On OSX/Linux it works, in XP it breaks. I'm guessing XP
doesn't
like `rake load_authority_data`. Ideas on that? Additionally, running
the
rake task in setup causes my tests to run extremely sloooow.

How is everyone handling this situation in their applications? How do
you
load authority data in new applications vs testing? Am I doing something
really stupid here or what?

Let me know, thanks...
54079122b67de9677c1f93933ce8b63a?d=identicon&s=25 Mitchell Hashimoto (mitchellh)
on 2005-12-28 07:16
Check this out:
http://nubyonrails.com/articles/2005/12/27/dump-or...

That should do it.
Efe398b3b5436b0a8d4430090e8f86ea?d=identicon&s=25 subimage interactive (Guest)
Are you suggesting I just use that tool and keep all of my regular data
in
fixtures instead of SQL?
54079122b67de9677c1f93933ce8b63a?d=identicon&s=25 Mitchell Hashimoto (mitchellh)
on 2005-12-28 17:12
subimage interactive wrote:
> Are you suggesting I just use that tool and keep all of my regular data
> in
> fixtures instead of SQL?

Maybe not all of it but if you already have those countries in SQL then
youcan just dump them to fixtures this way..