Forum: Ruby on Rails Best Environment for development

06c1cd6ba91573f047d57db368cc8f7b?d=identicon&s=25 Ivan Kirigin (Guest)
This is a newb question, and probably one that is a matter of taste
more than objective merit.

I'm working on a home server, running Linux [FC 4], hosting a website
[look for generocities.com shortly]. I have a delightful new Windows
XP Pro Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop.

What would the community recommend for the environment in which I
develop?

I don't mean technologies like RoR or what have you. I mean editors,
IDEs, etc.
Cygwin? X servers? Notepad?

The server is in my basement, and I'd like to do everything through my
laptop, so I can run an X client there. Suggestions?

I currently use an IDE for desktop computer vision applications in
C++, which is very different than what I'm planning.

Thanks,
Ivan Kirigin
www.kirigin.com
616226cee3466e91febcd38f75c69194?d=identicon&s=25 Helmut Sedding (Guest)

my linux-server is running eclipse/radrails which neatly integrates
into the macosX-desktop running a x-server (the displaying program).
the reason: eclipse is running slow on the ibook, which is my desktop
computer. you should compare the speed yourself.

regards,
Helmut
Ce60c4f78a63b0695e4dafc4bd7964f7?d=identicon&s=25 Lou Vanek (Guest)
If you're old-school then cygwin/vim is a good combination.
Other people swear by mingw/msys (http://www.mingw.org/).
Vim (gvim) can be set up with very good ruby syntax highlighting
and automatic indentation, but it lacks tab-completion.
radrails has that.
ruby is stable on cygwin, but there is one bug with 'ri' on
cygwin (if you should run into the bug, the fix was posted
on c.l.r.core about a week ago). Ruby comes prepackaged for
cygwin but it's also easy to compile if you want to run bleeding
edge versions or want to add your own extensions.
C7d5bc5b054035d95f287797c2595694?d=identicon&s=25 Matias Surdi (Guest)
Ivan Kirigin
escribió:> Cygwin? X servers? Notepad?

> The server is in my basement, and I'd like to do everything through my
> laptop, so I can run an X client there. Suggestions?
>
> I currently use an IDE for desktop computer vision applications in
> C++, which is very different than what I'm planning.
>
> Thanks,
> Ivan Kirigin
> www.kirigin.com

I find very usefull quanta for rhtml editing (with the syntax highlight
file that is out there....), and radrails for every else.
Efe398b3b5436b0a8d4430090e8f86ea?d=identicon&s=25 subimage interactive (Guest)
I'd go with Komodo on the XP box, but that's just me.
I have a powerbook as well and enjoy working on OSX/Textmate more - but
either are better than vim/linux imho.
450046d5f684ae5001c0b1a079d447d4?d=identicon&s=25 Sean Schertell (Guest)
on 2005-12-29 02:01
subimage interactive wrote:
> I'd go with Komodo on the XP box, but that's just me.
> I have a powerbook as well and enjoy working on OSX/Textmate more - but
> either are better than vim/linux imho.

This year I made the switch from Linux/Quanta to OS X/TextMate and I
couldn't be happier -- best development platform I've ever used.