Forum: Ruby on Rails What is the best login generator to use?

33478bbfbd0e2bf2737eca60a555af76?d=identicon&s=25 Frank (Guest)
Hello,

Where can I find a good login geenrator that has roles, email support...

Thanks

Frank
E51c6ae07e72cf04ef869868cb8eca6e?d=identicon&s=25 Jake Janovetz (Guest)
on 2005-12-27 16:21
Frank wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Where can I find a good login geenrator that has roles, email support...
>
> Thanks
>
> Frank

Hi Frank-

You're opening a can of worms around here mentioning login
generator/plugin/component/engines.

I started with the Salted Hash Login Generator and doctored it up quite
a bit.  I ended up moving some components to my "account_controller",
some to my "signup_controller", some to my "admin/..._controllers" and
so on.

It natively supports roles, but not in a fashion I wanted to use.  I
added a usergroup class/model and linked it through that.  It does have
email support.

   Cheers,
   Jake Janovetz
C0e0b0489d676615d8e7122018baf483?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Hackney (Guest)
Jake is right, there is quite a bit of activity regarding login and
role support around here. Taking that into account, I would like to
give a vote of support to login_engine and user_engine. Login_engine
is basically Salted Hash Login Generator without the localization
(making initial setup a bit easier) and it is a Rails Engine, which
has great buzzword value. Regardless of any hype around the Engines
system, I have found that they are both very useful and include some
nice features out of the box... erm, svn checkout.

Daniel Hackney
33478bbfbd0e2bf2737eca60a555af76?d=identicon&s=25 Frank (Guest)
I did not want to start a war.

How do I install login_engine and user_engine?

Thanks

Frank

On Dec 27, 2005, at 10:55 AM, Daniel Hackney wrote:

> Jake is right, there is quite a bit of activity regarding login and
> role support around here. Taking that into account, I would like to
> give a vote of support to login_engine and user_engine. Login_engine
> is basically Salted Hash Login Generator without the localization
> (making initial setup a bit easier)

Is this the reason localisation was dropped? To make setup a bit
easier? Doesn't this make adding localisation later a lot harder? If
you do add localisation what happens when you want to upgrade the
engine? Is there a way of localising stuff in Rails that makes this a
non-issue?

Thanks,
Bob

----
Bob Hutchison          -- blogs at <http://www.recursive.ca/hutch/>
Recursive Design Inc.  -- <http://www.recursive.ca/>
Raconteur              -- <http://www.raconteur.info/>
On 12/27/05, Bob Hutchison <hutch@recursive.ca> wrote:
> easier? Doesn't this make adding localisation later a lot harder? If
> you do add localisation what happens when you want to upgrade the
> engine? Is there a way of localising stuff in Rails that makes this a
> non-issue?

Right.  The login system is NOT the right place for localization to take
place.
MLR (multilingual Rails) is currently under revision, and should be
coming out as a plugin soon.
http://wrath.rubyonrails.org/pipermail/rails-core/...

Having localization happen in the login generator made it more
difficult to localize the rest of the app.
D444791fa932ffdb231ff35458e1d1fa?d=identicon&s=25 Joshua Harvey (joshmh)
on 2005-12-27 19:15
Just an update: That new version of MLR I was working on is now called
Globalize, and is available as a plugin at:
http://globalize.diluvia.net/wiki.

Happy Holidays,
Josh Harvey
http://shnoo.gr

Wilson Bilkovich wrote:
> Right.  The login system is NOT the right place for localization to take
> place.
> MLR (multilingual Rails) is currently under revision, and should be
> coming out as a plugin soon.
> http://wrath.rubyonrails.org/pipermail/rails-core/...
Sorry. I actually knew that, my brain just stopped working before I
finished the e-mail.

P.S. - RubyForge project for the cross-platform Unicode gem coming
soon; I haven't forgotten.

--Wilson.