Forum: Ruby on Rails ROR manual deployment

56f497463a61e7dfb11fe3abf0e0fa06?d=identicon&s=25 Pierre-Yves Mathieu (Guest)

I was trying to understand everything need to be known to deploy ROR
manually.  Does someone have some valuable article on that. I am using
ROR
4 with ruby 2.1.x and webfaction as an host.

I would like to understand that before automating. It seams there is
only
one way to deploy right now, capistrano 2 or 3 if you can understand,
and
there is so little complete and up to date information on it. It is a
nightmare for me right now.

Than you very much
On Friday, June 20, 2014 5:17:08 PM UTC+1, Pierre-Yves Mathieu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was trying to understand everything need to be known to deploy ROR
> manually.  Does someone have some valuable article on that. I am using ROR
> 4 with ruby 2.1.x and webfaction as an host.

At it's very simplest, deployment is no different to what you might do
when
setting up a new development machine:

- checkout the latest version of the app
- make sure files like database.yml are correct (typically these aren't
checked into source control since they could be different for each host
on
which you deploy)
- run bundle in case any gems need updating
- run migrations (if necessary)
- precompile assets
- restart whatever you are using to host your app (passenger, unicorn
etc.)

Capistrano automates all that, and makes a lot of things more
convenient.
For example, you typically want to be able to reuse the gems, compiled
assets etc from the previous deploy, the normal approach is to put those
things in a  folder and then symlink them.

There are other tools such as vlad the deployer, mina or git-deploy (for
heroku style deploy-on-git-push workflow)

Fred
On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 9:17 AM, Pierre-Yves Mathieu
<pywebdesign@gmail.com>
wrote:

> nightmare for me right now.
>
> Than you very much