Forum: Ruby-Forum.com MySql keeps losing connectiion (WXP+Apache2+MySql+RoR)

6f01ec748d758af33d2e988593c4c97e?d=identicon&s=25 Guest (Guest)
on 2005-12-26 21:52
I've got Apache2, MySql installed (independentally, not via a package)
and I got RoR installed and set-up the database.yml file with correct
username/password, etc -- but RoR keeps complaining that it keeps losing
connection;

[code]
Mysql::Error: Lost connection to MySQL server during query: SELECT
COUNT(*) FROM categories
[/code]

What is wrong? Why does it lose connection to MySQL server?  I've tried
commenting out the Mysql.sock bit and replacing the .sock path with "";
all I try fail -- I don't know what to do.
3a83969376c805ef5b6042191fdb0ff3?d=identicon&s=25 Andreas S. (andreas)
on 2005-12-27 13:01
Please ask this question in the Rails forum.
Aaef69c232ad006587eaab8a7212c72b?d=identicon&s=25 andre (Guest)
on 2006-02-28 00:44
Guest wrote:
> I've got Apache2, MySql installed (independentally, not via a package)
> and I got RoR installed and set-up the database.yml file with correct
> username/password, etc -- but RoR keeps complaining that it keeps losing
> connection;
>
> [code]
> Mysql::Error: Lost connection to MySQL server during query: SELECT
> COUNT(*) FROM categories
> [/code]
>
> What is wrong? Why does it lose connection to MySQL server?  I've tried
> commenting out the Mysql.sock bit and replacing the .sock path with "";
> all I try fail -- I don't know what to do.

yes, you should be asking in the Rails forum...

but I did want to mention that I encountered this problem with
InstantRails and a new application I was building, there was a line in
the MySQL error log...

060227 16:30:26 [Warning] mysql.user table is not updated to new
password format; Disabling new password usage until
mysql_fix_privilege_tables is run

I tested with my root account and the '...Lost connection...' problem
disappeared, not sure what the mysql_fix_privilege_tables solution
is...but I'm sure it's documented by the good-MySQL people out there...

Cheers,
Andre