Forum: Ruby on Rails Fedora Core 2, cPanel and Ruby

3bec49196b296ac7c201412642c7a2b1?d=identicon&s=25 Rodrigo Alvarez (papipo)

i have a live server with Fedora Core 2 and cpanel.
I want to install Ruby 1.8.2, so i can use rails, but it has some
dependencies that need to swith the computer to Fedora 3.
It requires a new version of openssl, which breaks dependencies in a LOT
of
packages.
What do you recommend me to do? Update the whole system (how?), use some
kind of chroot to install the new version of ruby...?

Thanks in advance,
Rodrigo.
450046d5f684ae5001c0b1a079d447d4?d=identicon&s=25 Sean Schertell (Guest)
on 2005-12-27 02:36

Rodrigo Alvarez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i have a live server with Fedora Core 2 and cpanel.
> I want to install Ruby 1.8.2, so i can use rails, but it has some
> dependencies that need to swith the computer to Fedora 3.
> It requires a new version of openssl, which breaks dependencies in a LOT
> of
> packages.
> What do you recommend me to do? Update the whole system (how?), use some
> kind of chroot to install the new version of ruby...?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Rodrigo.

Hi Rodrigo,

You don't need to upgrade to FC3.  You should be able to just compile
Ruby from source.  It's very easy and should only take you about 20
minutes.

Here's what I did in a nutshell.  If you need more help, just ask  :-)

## Ruby, RubyGems, Rails ##
1. Go to http://rubyforge.org and find links to latest:
    - Ruby
    - RubyGems
2. cd /usr/src
3. wget links from step 1 and decompress
4. configure, make, make install Ruby
5. run setup.rb in RubyGems directory
6. gem install rails --include-dependencies

## FastCGI, Ruby-FastCGI Bindings ##
1. Go to http://www.fastcgi.com/dist/ and find the latest
fcgi-xxx.tar.gz
2. wget and decompress
3. configure, make, make install
4. Go to http://sugi.nemui.org/pub/ruby/fcgi/ and find latest
ruby-fcgi-xxx-tar.gz
5. wget and decompress
6. ruby install.rb config
7. ruby install.rb setup
8. ruby install.rb install

-- Test it out --
# irb
> require 'fcgi'
=> true
On 12/27/05, Sean Schertell <sean@datafly.net> wrote:
> > What do you recommend me to do? Update the whole system (how?), use some
> > dependencies that need to swith the computer to Fedora 3.
> Hi Rodrigo,
>
> You don't need to upgrade to FC3.  You should be able to just compile
> Ruby from source.  It's very easy and should only take you about 20
> minutes.
>
> Here's what I did in a nutshell.  If you need more help, just ask  :-)

Ok, i'll try it today, thanks.

[...]