Forum: Ruby on Rails DRY relative to edit and show

25bbc96d9c53647354cb724e744b2222?d=identicon&s=25 Greg Freemyer (Guest)
I'm a newbie, but it seems like edit and show should somehow share a
partial form.

In particular I've customized the layout of my edit form by using a
table and multiple rows/columns and I want my show form to look the
same.

Currently I've modified my show view to use _form, but now all the
fields are read/write and obviously they need to be read only on the
show form.

Any ideas, or just do form layout work twice?

Thanks
Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group

Assuming you want a form (in a table) for editing and a table for
showing, it isn't redundant (or in violation of the DRY rule) to have
separate partials or views. The two are inherently different.
On 12/23/05, Toby Boudreaux <rails@tobyjoe.com> wrote:
> If none of your fields in your 'show' action are editable, why do you
> want to use a form?
>
> Assuming you want a form (in a table) for editing and a table for
> showing, it isn't redundant (or in violation of the DRY rule) to have
> separate partials or views. The two are inherently different.

your right, I don't need a form.  Just trying to eliminate the
redundant table layouts.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group
Forensics for the 21st Century
5565e460a42fbe5669b458b2753f8d34?d=identicon&s=25 Michael (Guest)
I have ran into the same concern and fundamentally feel like it is a
duplication of effort - even though the two actions perform different
purposes I want them to share 100% of the look-and-feel.  I find myself
copying and pasting the appropriate show and edit files every time and
then going through and changing them as necessary for the designated
action.

  When I want to change the look-and-feel of one, I have to change the
other as well.  I understand Toby's argument, but it doesn't change the
fact that it is duplicating the effort.

  It would be nice if rails had a native way to set all the readonly
attributes (or enabled, etc... as appropriate for the control) to true
or false based on the view being a show or edit.  This would eliminate
the duplication we see between the actions.

  Just my opinion!

  Michael

Toby Boudreaux <rails@tobyjoe.com> wrote:
  If none of your fields in your 'show' action are editable, why do you
want to use a form?

Assuming you want a form (in a table) for editing and a table for
showing, it isn't redundant (or in violation of the DRY rule) to have
separate partials or views. The two are inherently different.
F8903dc7d2ddc733b08e0fa745b07fe1?d=identicon&s=25 Rich Clingman (Guest)
> It would be nice if rails had a native way to set all the readonly attributes (or
enabled, etc... as appropriate for the control) to true or false based on the view being a
show or edit.  This would eliminate the duplication we see between the actions. <

If you're using the RoR helpers to create the forms
(/app/views/.../_form)
    <%= text_field 'table', 'field'  %>
, what about creating an application-wide helper that will set read-only
attribute based on a flag or global?
    <%= my_text_field 'table', 'field',  read_only %>

Rich Clingman
    Rich@RoboSUV.com