Forum: Ruby on Rails no need for DB reflection when using config.active_record.sc

Be744459e07aebaa370c950e8d98e18b?d=identicon&s=25 David Lee (Guest)
Hi.

I've not seen anything on this so thought I'd put forward the idea and
see if it has any merit, or is already in practice.

When using migrations with config.active_record.schema_format = :ruby
(ruby as the canonical DB definition) it seems there would be no need
to query the database itself to determine its structure; it would
already be known.

This might have some good implications for database performance,
reducing the number of queries which need to be executed. Has this
been considered, or is it worth consideration?

--
cheers,
David Lee
> This might have some good implications for database performance,
> reducing the number of queries which need to be executed. Has this
> been considered, or is it worth consideration?

It's not really worth it because in production mode it's only queried
once anyway.

--
rick
http://techno-weenie.net