Forum: Ruby xslt processor for ruby

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
5b132632f47e8c7e2a83157cef4649c8?d=identicon&s=25 Agnieszka Figiel (agnessa)
on 2005-12-23 00:20
Hello,

could you please recommend a xslt processor for ruby? I tried Michael
Neumann's xslt4r which worked great for simple xsls. Now I'm looking for
something more up to date - a problem I ran into was when trying to use
the generate-id function. Any library that would support that?

Thanks!

Agnieszka
25e11a00a89683f7e01e425a1a6e305c?d=identicon&s=25 Wilson Bilkovich (Guest)
on 2005-12-23 04:46
(Received via mailing list)
On 12/22/05, Agnieszka Figiel <agnieszka.figiel@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> could you please recommend a xslt processor for ruby? I tried Michael
> Neumann's xslt4r which worked great for simple xsls. Now I'm looking for
> something more up to date - a problem I ran into was when trying to use
> the generate-id function. Any library that would support that?
>
Have you run into these yet?
(recently updated)
http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/ruby-xslt/

(way, way old)
http://www.rubycolor.org/sablot/
5b132632f47e8c7e2a83157cef4649c8?d=identicon&s=25 Agnieszka Figiel (agnessa)
on 2005-12-23 13:10
Wilson Bilkovich wrote:
> On 12/22/05, Agnieszka Figiel <agnieszka.figiel@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> could you please recommend a xslt processor for ruby? I tried Michael
>> Neumann's xslt4r which worked great for simple xsls. Now I'm looking for
>> something more up to date - a problem I ran into was when trying to use
>> the generate-id function. Any library that would support that?
>>
> Have you run into these yet?
> (recently updated)
> http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/ruby-xslt/
>
> (way, way old)
> http://www.rubycolor.org/sablot/

Thank you. I'm wondering if any of these supports XSLT 2.0?

--
Agnieszka Figiel
82e62c756d89bc6fa0a0a2d7f2b1e617?d=identicon&s=25 Ross Bamford (Guest)
on 2005-12-23 14:10
(Received via mailing list)
On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 12:11:07 -0000, Agnieszka Figiel
<agnieszka.figiel@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Have you run into these yet?
>> (recently updated)
>> http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/ruby-xslt/
>>
>> (way, way old)
>> http://www.rubycolor.org/sablot/
>
> Thank you. I'm wondering if any of these supports XSLT 2.0?
>

(Not given more than a glance to Libxslt-Ruby yet, but here's how it
looks
to me right now):

 From what I gather XSLT 2.0 is still a recommendation (a strong one,
but
still), and only Saxon has any plans to implement it properly. On the
Libxml/Libxslt project we're currently concentrating on getting XML up
to
date, and should be onto a fresh release of XSLT sometime in Q12006, but
AIUI at the moment, although Libxslt supports "some common extensions"
to
1.0, there are no plans to go to 2.0 [1]. It seems most of the other
library projects are of the same mind too [2]. If that's the case,
Libxslt-ruby would have to follow suit I guess.

There are a few 'mostly there' implementations, but not with Ruby
bindings
as far as I can see. Maybe someone else has worked/is working on
something
with one of them?

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/xslt/2004-October/m...
(oldish
but relevant I think)
[2] http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/200...
(and resulting thread)
52a177e9dbd3e614825aabc4e45f8cd6?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Volkmann (Guest)
on 2005-12-23 14:46
(Received via mailing list)
On 12/23/05, Ross Bamford <rosco@roscopeco.remove.co.uk> wrote:

>  From what I gather XSLT 2.0 is still a recommendation (a strong one, but
> still),

I think what you meant to say is that XSLT 2.0 is a "candidate
recommendation". The next and last step is to become a plain
"recommendation".

> and only Saxon has any plans to implement it properly.

Saxon has already fully implemented XSLT 2.0. See
http://www.saxonica.com/. Also, you can get a free XSLT 2.0 engine
from Altova, makers of XML Spy. Both also support XQuery 1.0.

It would be great if someone would create a Ruby binding to Saxon.
Until then, your best bet is probably to use Saxon from Ruby by
executing a shell command with backquotes. For information on how to
run Saxon from a shell command, see
http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/index/gettin....
82e62c756d89bc6fa0a0a2d7f2b1e617?d=identicon&s=25 Ross Bamford (Guest)
on 2005-12-23 16:28
(Received via mailing list)
On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 13:44:20 -0000, Mark Volkmann
<r.mark.volkmann@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/23/05, Ross Bamford <rosco@roscopeco.remove.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>  From what I gather XSLT 2.0 is still a recommendation (a strong one,
>> but
>> still),
>
> I think what you meant to say is that XSLT 2.0 is a "candidate
> recommendation". The next and last step is to become a plain
> "recommendation".
>

Oops, yes, sorry.

>> and only Saxon has any plans to implement it properly.
>
> Saxon has already fully implemented XSLT 2.0. See
> http://www.saxonica.com/. Also, you can get a free XSLT 2.0 engine
> from Altova, makers of XML Spy. Both also support XQuery 1.0.

I didn't mention XML Spy because I thought it's commercial / Windows
only?

>
> It would be great if someone would create a Ruby binding to Saxon.
> Until then, your best bet is probably to use Saxon from Ruby by
> executing a shell command with backquotes. For information on how to
> run Saxon from a shell command, see
> http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/index/gettin....
>

Maybe check out
http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/200.... I
don't know how useful that is, or how 'real world', but it's a possibly
interesting idea.
52a177e9dbd3e614825aabc4e45f8cd6?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Volkmann (Guest)
on 2005-12-23 16:58
(Received via mailing list)
On 12/23/05, Ross Bamford <rosco@roscopeco.remove.co.uk> wrote:
> > recommendation". The next and last step is to become a plain
>
> I didn't mention XML Spy because I thought it's commercial / Windows only?

The thing I'm referring to is called "AltovaXML 2006". You can read
about it at http://www.altova.com/altovaxml.html. It is free. However,
I didn't realize it was Windows only. Bummer!
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.