Forum: Ruby on Rails Documentation for generate controller

61396c69040bbc56dbad1c5c71ac27d2?d=identicon&s=25 Rover Rhubarb (rhubarb)
on 2005-12-22 18:50
I can find the API documentation, but where is the documentation for the
standard generators. The wiki has 3rd party generators- but I want to
know specifically what generate controller does, and how it differs from
generate scaffold, and what other generators there are.
Where is this succinctly documented?
Cee0292fffa691f1fb320d5400200e99?d=identicon&s=25 Marcel Molina Jr. (Guest)
On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 06:50:38PM +0100, rover rhubarb wrote:
> I can find the API documentation, but where is the documentation for the
> standard generators. The wiki has 3rd party generators- but I want to
> know specifically what generate controller does, and how it differs from
> generate scaffold, and what other generators there are.
> Where is this succinctly documented?

Run it with no arguments:

  ruby script/generate controller

marcel
61232efa5b6bdc354b466b7f17253a8c?d=identicon&s=25 Marcin Marjanski (Guest)
Hi Rover,

You can get info of what buildin generatros are doing from the
generator script itself with the -h option:

[C:\rails\Projects\sa3]ruby script\generate -h controller
Usage: script/generate controller ControllerName [options]

General Options:
    -p, --pretend                    Run but do not make any changes.
    -f, --force                      Overwrite files that already exist.
    -s, --skip                       Skip files that already exist.
    -q, --quiet                      Suppress normal output.
    -t, --backtrace                  Debugging: show backtrace on
errors.
    -h, --help                       Show this help message.
    -c, --svn                        Modify files with subversion.
(Note: svn mu
st be in path)

    The controller generator creates stubs for a new controller and its
views.

    The generator takes a controller name and a list of views as
arguments.
    The controller name may be given in CamelCase or under_score and
should
    not be suffixed with 'Controller'.  To create a controller within a
    module, specify the controller name as 'module/controller'.

    The generator creates a controller class in app/controllers with
view
    templates in app/views/controller_name, a helper class in
app/helpers,
    and a functional test suite in test/functional.

Example:
    ./script/generate controller CreditCard open debit credit close

    Credit card controller with URLs like /credit_card/debit.
        Controller: app/controllers/credit_card_controller.rb
        Helper:     app/helpers/credit_card_helper.rb
        Test:       test/functional/credit_card_controller_test.rb

Modules Example:
    ./script/generate controller 'admin/credit_card' suspend late_fee

    Credit card admin controller with URLs /admin/credit_card/suspend.
        Controller: app/controllers/admin/credit_card_controller.rb
        Helper:     app/helpers/admin/credit_card_helper.rb
        Test:       test/functional/admin/credit_card_controller_test.rb

Regards,

Marcin