Forum: Ruby Help needed wrapping C library for Ruby extension

F1b7ae83e1cbd480d3342945199d8c60?d=identicon&s=25 Scott Raymond (Guest)
Hi-

I need a Ruby extension to be built, wrapping an existing C library.
I'm pretty out of my depth with C, but I think it should be a fairly
modest undertaking -- maybe just a weekend project for a talented
hacker.

If that sounds up your alley, please shoot me a line and I'll describe
what I'm looking for in more detail. Then you can check out the API
and give me a bid.

Thanks!

Scott Raymond
scottraymond@gmail.com
1004b266da7d0e375ed7cb88b6a79e7c?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Lee (Guest)
Hi Scott,

I'm interested in the job.  My experience working with extensions
comes from maintaining the ruby-postgres extension.  I feel completely
confident with the Ruby C API.

thanks,
Dave
On 12/21/05, Scott Raymond <scottraymond@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi-
>
> I need a Ruby extension to be built, wrapping an existing C library.
> I'm pretty out of my depth with C, but I think it should be a fairly
> modest undertaking -- maybe just a weekend project for a talented
> hacker.
>
> If that sounds up your alley, please shoot me a line and I'll describe
> what I'm looking for in more detail. Then you can check out the API
> and give me a bid.

*shoots you a line*
F1b7ae83e1cbd480d3342945199d8c60?d=identicon&s=25 Scott Raymond (Guest)
Thanks for the reply, Joe.

The library in question is LibOFX, which is an open source OFX (Open
Financial Exchange) parser. OFX is a format for representing financial
transaction data -- it's what most US banks use to communicate with
Quicken, MS Money, etc. I'd like to be able to access that data from
within Ruby with a decent API.

The LibOFX site is here: http://libofx.sourceforge.net/
and the SourceForge site is here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/libofx/

My understanding is that the API can be used from either C or C++.
Take a look and let me know roughly how big of a project it looks like
to you. I don't have much of a budget to speak of, but I'd want it to
be worth your while. Can you tell me a bit about your Ruby experience,
especially regarding C extensions?

Thanks again-
Scott Raymond
918c6daad03c85e51ad1a11f57017947?d=identicon&s=25 Devin Mullins (Guest)
Scott Raymond wrote:

>The library in question is LibOFX, which is an open source OFX (Open
>Financial Exchange) parser. OFX is a format for representing financial
>transaction data -- it's what most US banks use to communicate with
>Quicken, MS Money, etc. I'd like to be able to access that data from
>within Ruby with a decent API.

Ooh! My bank gives out OFX files online. You should open-source the
binding so I can run stats on my checking/savings accounts in Ruby. :)

Devin
*doesn't shoot you a line* (sorry)