Forum: Ruby on Rails Really OT: terms of service and privacy statements

E2489efc6ec10ec818b71965909ea109?d=identicon&s=25 Jin Lee (Guest)
Hey everyone,

Aplogies asking such an off topic question on this list, as I have no
one
else to really turn to.

I plan to release a website very soon to the public. I am just one-man
shop,
and do not know much outside the realm of programming. I've taken care
of
the "business" aspect of things, but know nothing of the legal
necessities
of having a web business. Specifically, it would be great if anyone knew
"how not to get sued", such as where to get a terms of service
agreement,
privacy statements, trademarks? and copyrights?.

If anyone has any information or resources on these sorts of things,
that
would be great.

Thank you,

Jin
5cfd7e9223637ea26c81c2cc3e43799e?d=identicon&s=25 Craig Webster (Guest)
On 22 Dec 2005, at 01:02, Jin Lee wrote:
> Specifically, it would be great if anyone knew "how not to get
> sued", such as where to get a terms of service agreement, privacy
> statements, trademarks? and copyrights?.
>
> If anyone has any information or resources on these sorts of
> things, that would be great.

These things depend to a certain degree on the law of the country
which you are operating in and the nature of your business. If your
business is more than trivial I would seriously suggest that the fee
you'll pay for a few hours of a lawyers time will be far less than
the potential fine imposed if things go pear-shaped -- and with a
lawyer you'll get real peace-of-mind.

Yours,
Craig
--