Forum: Ruby on Rails Switchtower question: how to use SVN export

55fb785d1720b98e5ea97350f9d2c2d6?d=identicon&s=25 Jeroen Heijmans (Guest)
on 2005-12-21 14:48
I use Switchtower to deploy my Ruby on Rails application, which works
great. However, it appears to be doing a SVN checkout, which includes
all the .svn directories as well. I would rather do an export from SVN.

Is it possible to configure Switchtower to do this, or can I extend it
in the deploy.rb? I haven't been able to find any examples on the
internet so far.

thanks,

Jeroen Heijmans
A944b656e1e9cfd45f1e6714435b0a54?d=identicon&s=25 Simon Harris (Guest)
Jeroen Heijmans <rails@...> writes:

> Jeroen Heijmans

At the risk of being an uber-hack, you could override checkout() in
SwitchTower::SCM::Subversion to perform an export instead. There's a
line that looks like:

command = "#{svn} co -q -r#{configuration.revision}
                                #{configuration.repository}
#{actor.release_path};"

That contains the command that will be run.

It would be nice though if you were given the option to specify the SCM
command to use or even better, a string such as the one just shown.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Simon
55fb785d1720b98e5ea97350f9d2c2d6?d=identicon&s=25 Jeroen Heijmans (Guest)
on 2005-12-21 15:21
> At the risk of being an uber-hack, you could override checkout() in
> SwitchTower::SCM::Subversion to perform an export instead.

Thanks. I can do this by just overriding this class in the deploy.rb, or
do I need to put it elsewhere (Sorry, my Ruby knowledge is still rather
limited)?
2dd4f0af6b0137e9a0798b1f1abb9b00?d=identicon&s=25 Mike Zornek (Guest)
On 12/21/05 9:03 AM, "Simon Harris" <simon@redhillconsulting.com.au>
wrote:

> It would be nice though if you were given the option to specify the SCM
> command to use or even better, a string such as the one just shown.

I too would like to see this as an option (if not the default) in a new
release of Switchtower.

~ Mike
--
Work: http://ClickableBliss.com
Play: http://MikeZornek.com
On Dec 21, 2005, at 8:27 AM, Mike Zornek wrote:

> On 12/21/05 9:03 AM, "Simon Harris"
> <simon@redhillconsulting.com.au> wrote:
>
>> It would be nice though if you were given the option to specify
>> the SCM
>> command to use or even better, a string such as the one just shown.
>
> I too would like to see this as an option (if not the default) in a
> new
> release of Switchtower.

It will be. I hope to spend a bit of time on ST this weekend. (Of
course, a patch is always the quickest way to see your heart's desire
granted... *hint hint*)

Please, feel free to use the rails bug tracker to post feature
requests for SwitchTower. Just assign them to me
(jamis@37signals.com). That way they won't get lost in the forest of
mailing list posts.

- Jamis