Forum: Ruby on Rails how to deploy rails 2.3.8?

034e56264c4a99faa40ecc9c49f6030b?d=identicon&s=25 Thilak G (Guest)
Hi everyone,

I am new to ruby on rails, I have developed rails application in
rails-2.3.8,ruby-1.9.2,mysql, wamp server with windowsxp platform,can
anyone help me how to deploy it and also tell me how to host it after
deployed?

thanks
thilak.g
On Saturday, June 7, 2014 12:05:36 PM UTC+1, Thilak G wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>

> I am new to ruby on rails, I have developed rails application in
rails-2.3.8,ruby-1.9.2,mysql, wamp server with windowsxp platform,can anyone
help
me how to deploy it and also tell me how to host it after deployed?

You've not picked the easiest combination: obsolete and no longer
maintained ruby and rails versions (in particular that rails version has
remote code execution vulnerabilities - at least pick the latest 2.3.x
version) and a less common development platform.

Assuming you're deploying to a linux type environment then passenger,
unicorn and puma are some of the common choices. I think these all still
support rails 2.3.x but I could be wrong. If heroku still supports rails
2.3.x then that is an easy way to host a rails app.

If you do the hosting on your own (as opposed to heroku) then capistrano
is a commonly used deployment mechanism.

Fred
On Saturday, 7 June 2014 06:05:36 UTC-5, Thilak G wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>

> I am new to ruby on rails, I have developed rails application in
> rails-2.3.8,ruby-1.9.2,mysql, wamp server with windowsxp platform,can
> anyone help me how to deploy it and also tell me how to host it after
> deployed?

I'd like to reemphasize Frederick's point about upgrading - most of the
point releases between 2.3.8 and 2.3.18 (ten of them!) are security
updates
that close CRITICAL vulnerabilities. At a minimum, you should get
current
with 2.3.18 before exposing this code to the outside world.

--Matt Jones
034e56264c4a99faa40ecc9c49f6030b?d=identicon&s=25 Thilak G (Guest)
thanks for replying,

i have tried capistrano but i can't understand some steps like SSH and
server setup, i have confused , can anyone tell me how to start setup
the
server and how to get SSH key?
then tell me also after deployed what file will generate? and how to
host
it?

thilak
3ff0d17924f572023431430c52bb94bd?d=identicon&s=25 Duong vong veasna (Guest)
Hi Frederick Cheung

i have use heroku for hosting it. i thinks you need to install heroku,
and
then create an account.
next please try this.
1. open command prompt
2.go to your app then type (heroku login) fill in ur username and
password
3.try this command "git init" enter
4.git add . press enter
5. git commit -m "first commit"
6.heroku create
7.git push heroku master
8.heroku open
i  hope this could help you.

good luck.
veasna
On Monday, June 9, 2014 7:52:34 AM UTC+1, Thilak G wrote:

> thanks for replying,
>
> i have tried capistrano but i can't understand some steps like SSH and
> server setup, i have confused , can anyone tell me how to start setup the
> server and how to get SSH key?
> then tell me also after deployed what file will generate? and how to host
> it?
>

> There are a number of tutorials out there concerning server setup. A
popular choice is ubuntu - a google search for 'ubuntu rails setup
<https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=safari&rls=...
yields instructions for most versions of ubuntu. As I mentionned there
are
a number of possible choices as to how to host. Passenger is pretty easy
setup, and comes in both nginx and apache flavours.

Ssh is a little different on windows since I don't believe it's builtin
- I
seem to recall that you use Putty to generate the ssh key.

When you run capistrano it checks out your source code onto the remote
server, does things like run migrations, install gems (if you are using
bundler, which you really should) and then restart whatever is running
your
application code.

Fred
4b0889adddec0b9bae5435e0c233b1e3?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Porter (Guest)
You might want to also consider Digital Ocean.
Easy setup, low cost and great docs.
Get the app on GitHub and easy deploy to your Distro!
https://digitalocean.com/help/
HTH

ps - Also would like to know why you are working with such old versions?
Existing account

No account? Register here.