Forum: Ruby on Rails Assign content seize by a user in a variable

788247d7042f1050f6feed8ae60180f1?d=identicon&s=25 Fab Forestier (fabulousfab)
on 2014-06-02 14:36
My question is maybe silly but I have a text_field_tag define like this
in my code:

<%= text_field_tag("repcarte", @reperecarte ,:class => "input
colonnetab")%>

Using this I thought that when in my application I will size some text
in the text_field then my variable @reperecarte will contain the sized
text but it's not the case.

Can someone explain me what is missing?
4c6bde00168d595053c09aac7e487f8e?d=identicon&s=25 Colin Law (Guest)
on 2014-06-02 14:45
(Received via mailing list)
On 2 June 2014 13:36, Fab Forestier <lists@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> Can someone explain me what is missing?
What is missing is that you still have not understood some of the
basics of rails, and the answer is to do what I have suggested on
several occasions which is to work right through a good tutorial such
as railstutorial.org (including doing all the exercises).

Colin
788247d7042f1050f6feed8ae60180f1?d=identicon&s=25 Fab Forestier (fabulousfab)
on 2014-06-02 15:20
>What is missing is that you still have not understood some of the
>basics of rails, and the answer is to do what I have suggested on
>several occasions which is to work right through a good tutorial such
>as railstutorial.org (including doing all the exercises).
>
>Colin

I think that your answer is a little bit too easy why do you spend time
to answer me the same thing all the time?

I know that the tutorial is a good way to learn but I think you don't
understand that we can't understand everything using a tutorial moreover
I am in professional training so I can't do the tutorial from the
biggining to the end because if I do this I will not produce anythink
for my company that will be a big problem. Moreother the tutorial show
basic things using scaffold's views and models that is not the case for
me.
4c6bde00168d595053c09aac7e487f8e?d=identicon&s=25 Colin Law (Guest)
on 2014-06-02 15:34
(Received via mailing list)
On 2 June 2014 14:20, Fab Forestier <lists@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
>>What is missing is that you still have not understood some of the
>>basics of rails, and the answer is to do what I have suggested on
>>several occasions which is to work right through a good tutorial such
>>as railstutorial.org (including doing all the exercises).
>>
>>Colin
>
> I think that your answer is a little bit too easy why do you spend time
> to answer me the same thing all the time?

OK, this is the last time I will try to help.

>
> I know that the tutorial is a good way to learn but I think you don't
> understand that we can't understand everything using a tutorial moreover
> I am in professional training so I can't do the tutorial from the
> biggining to the end because if I do this I will not produce anythink
> for my company that will be a big problem. Moreother the tutorial show
> basic things using scaffold's views and models that is not the case for
> me.

In the long run you will produce more for your company if you take my
advice.

As for scaffolding, had you even read the introductory sections you
would know that it uses scaffolding only for the first quick demo of
what rails is about.  The main application developed builds the code
from scratch.

Colin
15eb13d662803f57bc4aea59704988b4?d=identicon&s=25 Scott Ribe (Guest)
on 2014-06-02 15:41
(Received via mailing list)
On Jun 2, 2014, at 7:20 AM, Fab Forestier <lists@ruby-forum.com> wrote:

> I think that your answer is a little bit too easy why do you spend time
> to answer me the same thing all the time?

Because you not only keep asking very basic questions which demonstrate
a near-total lack of understanding of Rails, you keep asking the *SAME*
basic question in different contexts.

The answer to your question is: you get the value the same way you get
any other parameter. If you do not understand that answer, then what you
need is the tutorial. Asking us to spend our time regurgitating the
exact same information that is in the tutorial is asking us to waste our
time. Moreover, it wastes your time because none of us will produce
on-demand as well thought-out and thorough an answer as what is in the
tutorial, and because getting answers piecemeal like that will not help
you understand the basic picture of how Rails works.

I've been here on this list for years, and I have NEVER before seen
questions from someone who doesn't even understand how to access a
request parameter.

> ...moreover
> I am in professional training so I can't do the tutorial from the
> biggining to the end because if I do this I will not produce anythink
> for my company that will be a big problem.

Then you are saying that you cannot take the time to learn what is
necessary, which is not a plan for success. Either do the tutorial, or
fail--it's your choice. But you might as well stop asking us to, in
essence, do the tutorial for you, because that's not going to happen.
Please log in before posting. Registration is free and takes only a minute.
Existing account

NEW: Do you have a Google/GoogleMail, Yahoo or Facebook account? No registration required!
Log in with Google account | Log in with Yahoo account | Log in with Facebook account
No account? Register here.