Forum: NGINX Email Reverse Proxy issue

2974d09ac2541e892966b762aad84943?d=identicon&s=25 omercz (Guest)
I am using Nginx as an Email reverse proxy.
The email client sends a request to the nginx, the nginx fetch the WHOLE
email(message) from exchange server, and only then manipulates it and
sends
it back to client.

Email Client<---->Nginx<----> Office 365

Everything is working great, besides the following problem, the Email
client
has a timeout of 30 seconds,
but sometimes it can take the Nginx to download the whole email more the
30sec (if it has a big attachment).

My question is as follow:
In the meantime can the nginx send 'something' to the client to keep him
aware that something is being downloaded ?
Right now I have an ugly patch that sends on the open socket 'blanks' to
the
client every 20 seconds, until the nginx can send him the whole file.

Thanks

Posted at Nginx Forum:
Hello!

On Sun, Jun 01, 2014 at 06:30:49AM -0400, omercz wrote:

> I am using Nginx as an Email reverse proxy.
> The email client sends a request to the nginx, the nginx fetch the WHOLE
> email(message) from exchange server, and only then manipulates it and sends
> it back to client.

This is not how nginx mail proxy works.

> Right now I have an ugly patch that sends on the open socket 'blanks' to the
> client every 20 seconds, until the nginx can send him the whole file.

After an authentication, nginx just establises opaque pipe between
a client and a server.  Therefore, if the server sends anything,
it will be immediately passed to the client.

--
Maxim Dounin
http://nginx.org/

No account? Register here.