Forum: NGINX Can anyone tell me how to delete spam pages on the wiki?

2974d09ac2541e892966b762aad84943?d=identicon&s=25 talkingnews (Guest)
Click this:
http://wiki.nginx.org/index.php?title=Special:Sear...

See the problem?! I stopped counting at 500 pages. It gets kinda tedious
searching for info to end up wading through wedding dress and SEO spam
and
finding out "how to finger you woman".

I can't seem to do anything except "blank" the pages - my wiki username
is
talkingnews. If someone can give me "the power", I promise not to be
malicious, but when I get a spare 10 minutes from time to time I'll go
through and delete 100 or so spams.

Posted at Nginx Forum:
8a32e2b76241fce44d604cda3e0780c8?d=identicon&s=25 sarah.novotny (Guest)
hi!

thanks for the offer for help.  send me an email sarah@nginx.com and
i’ll get you set up.

sarah

From: talkingnews nginx-forum@nginx.us
Reply: nginx@nginx.org nginx@nginx.org
Date: May 28, 2014 at 11:29:17 AM
To: nginx@nginx.org nginx@nginx.org
Subject:  Can anyone tell me how to delete spam pages on the wiki?

Click this:
http://wiki.nginx.org/index.php?title=Special:Sear...

See the problem?! I stopped counting at 500 pages. It gets kinda tedious
searching for info to end up wading through wedding dress and SEO spam
and
finding out "how to finger you woman".

I can't seem to do anything except "blank" the pages - my wiki username
is
talkingnews. If someone can give me "the power", I promise not to be
malicious, but when I get a spare 10 minutes from time to time I'll go
through and delete 100 or so spams.

Posted at Nginx Forum:

I’d like to offer a MONSTER thank you to talkingnews and tsbolzonello
for helping battle the wiki spam.

We’ve had no net new spam in more than a week and all the old spam has
been vanquished.

Next up is going through the existing content to audit and update the
remaining pages.  If any of you are interested in helping and have
trouble editing, please send me and email.

talkingnews and tsbolzonello, please send me your physical mail
addresses. I’d like to ship you some treats.

Sarah

From: talkingnews nginx-forum@nginx.us
Reply: nginx@nginx.org nginx@nginx.org
Date: May 28, 2014 at 11:29:17 AM
To: nginx@nginx.org nginx@nginx.org

sarahnovotny Wrote:

> I’d like to offer a MONSTER thank you to talkingnews and tsbolzonello
> for helping battle the wiki spam.

The least I can do in return for this great nginx server! email sent :)

> Next up is going through the existing content to audit and update the
> remaining pages.  If any of you are interested in helping and have
> trouble editing, please send me and email.

Thought I'd reply on-list to see what others think here:

Regarding those other pages, what about pages like this?
http://wiki.nginx.org/Bugs - I know it says "old/obsolete", but as it
appears second in Google search results, perhaps a redirect to
http://trac.nginx.org/nginx/ might make things easier?

Also, the Chinese pages seem to mix between
http://wiki.nginx.org/ChsFullExample and
http://wiki.nginx.org/CoreModuleChs

I see that in this example:
http://wiki.nginx.org/index.php?title=HttpEmptyGif...
that there's a move to moving the Chs from the start to the end of the
URL.

However, nginx is truly international and growing fast - is there any
extension, configuration or module for the Wiki which would allow pages
be tagged or grouped by language, so someone could include or exclude a
language in search results? I think that would be helpful to have the
same
page names but under language directories, a bit like php do, eg:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.basic-syntax.php
http://www.php.net/manual/pt_BR/language.basic-syntax.php

Also, I know that you can see the "last updated" date by clicking the
little
calendar on the top right, but I was thinking that it might be useful to
have a "last updated" date clearly on the main page, perhaps at the head
or
foot.

Also, how about an "applies to" section? That way, I could tick "applies
1.7+" and just get pages containing tips and configs for this version.

Just throwing some thoughts out there - anyone else got any thoughts on
that?

Posted at Nginx Forum:
2974d09ac2541e892966b762aad84943?d=identicon&s=25 terryr (Guest)
I'd like to also add my thanks.  Great work.

I think a very visible last updated date and the "applies to" section
would
be great.

When I first started using nginx and the wiki, I found one thing a bit
confusing. Clicking on a link on http://wiki.nginx.org/Modules directs
you
to the corresponding page on nginx.org/en/docs.  While it's great to be
directed to those docs, I expected to be taken to a wiki page on the
core
module.  I would suggest some kind of notice that these links will take
you
to the nginx.org/en/docs site.

The obsoleted pages are difficult.  A link like this
http://wiki.nginx.org/CoreModule#error_log in a google search bypasses
the
notice at the top so whoever's reading has no idea that the page has
been
obsoleted.  I'm not registerd on the wiki so I don't know what editing
options are availble to offer any suggestions for dealing with this.

Terry

Posted at Nginx Forum:
Existing account

No account? Register here.