Forum: Ruby Purpose of Ruby Talk

5fae52bb6ef81a988b84e4cf2b4258e1?d=identicon&s=25 Gary Allum (Guest)
on 2005-12-19 17:33
Is there a clear cut purpose for ruby-talk, or can most any ruby topic
be discussed? Dont want to get too involved before knowing.
5a5dbce467c5b43ad8fc81209db607b3?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Cedilotte (Guest)
Gary Allum wrote:

>Is there a clear cut purpose for ruby-talk, or can most any ruby topic
>be discussed? Dont want to get too involved before knowing.

As far as I know, it just has to be related to ruby. There's another
list for RubyCore related questions.
Fd22ee3cfc7dac283ce8e451af324f7d?d=identicon&s=25 Chad Perrin (Guest)
On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 01:34:01AM +0900, Gary Allum wrote:
> Is there a clear cut purpose for ruby-talk, or can most any ruby topic
> be discussed? Dont want to get too involved before knowing.

As far as I can tell, there's no specific topic focus to ruby-talk --
just some "anti topics" that get summarily directed elsewhere.  For
instance, I've noticed that if you mention Rails in a question for
ruby-talk you'll probably get one or two people telling you to go to the
Rails list.

Overall, ruby-talk is general-purpose.

Chad Perrin wrote:
> Rails list.
>
> Overall, ruby-talk is general-purpose.

Application or library-specific questions are best directed to a group
or list devoted to that topic, as one is most likely to get a faster,
more accurate response there.  Of course, if there are no other
resources, then one might as well ask here.

There are also a few topics that have come up so often that further
rehashing often seems pointless.  So, if one has questions about static
typing, or Ruby vs Python, or the 'best' IDE, some prior perusal of the
list archives is strongly encouraged.

Actually, that's not a bad idea in general.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby?lnk=gschg
http://ruby-talk.org/ruby/ruby-talk/index.shtml

Least this sound too heavy-handed, please know that this list is filled
with some of the most gracious, helpful, smart people on the planet.
Don't be shy.

James

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 06:06:01AM +0900, James Britt wrote:

> Least this sound too heavy-handed, please know that this list is filled
> with some of the most gracious, helpful, smart people on the planet.
> Don't be shy.

Agreed.  I've seen only one LUG and one website (perlmonks.org) that
exhibited the same level of friendly helpfulness as ruby-talk thus far.

82e62c756d89bc6fa0a0a2d7f2b1e617?d=identicon&s=25 Ross Bamford (Guest)

> On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 06:06:01AM +0900, James Britt wrote:
>>
>> Least this sound too heavy-handed, please know that this list is filled
>> with some of the most gracious, helpful, smart people on the planet.
>> Don't be shy.
>
> Agreed.  I've seen only one LUG and one website (perlmonks.org) that
> exhibited the same level of friendly helpfulness as ruby-talk thus far.

Just to say, I've been honestly amazed by how welcoming and friendly
everyone is here. The whole Ruby community thing has been something of a
revolution to me, and I'd just like to say thanks again to everyone for
restoring a little faith :)
Fbaa72b7e8188955d64448f74b8e1feb?d=identicon&s=25 Harpo (Guest)
James Britt wrote:

> Least this sound too heavy-handed, please know that this list is
> filled with some of the most gracious, helpful, smart people on the
> planet.

I thank you very much!

;-)) In fact, I think you're right as this is the impression I have, I'm
just a Ruby newbie and I only read sometimes this NG because I'm too
impressed by the newbies questions, I just hope I'll be able to ask
this kind of questions.
Nevertheless, maybe some NG may be dedicated to some more specific
problems (and solutions). I don't know.
A77873df3a9766b208e009248a2a9a56?d=identicon&s=25 Hampton (Guest)
Well, I hate you all.... *grumble*, *grumble*, *grumble*.

The part of the Meanie will be played by Hampton in tonight's episode
where Samantha discovers that Sam has secretly been hoadring the
ruby-candy and hilarity ensues. Tonight at 5 only on WJXL channel 8,
your local news source.

No seriously, we have to have a nice ruby-talk group because our
documentation is so bad, no one can yell... "read the docs, you idiot!"
most of us have learned ruby through a little pickaxe and a whole lotta
playing around with it. we recognize that ruby is a language worth
fighting for. I earnestly want more people to enjoy and learn ruby
because i have loved it so much in the last few months that I have
taken it on as my primary language. We're all here not because we don't
have anything better to do, but because we do care so much about more
people learning this amazing language and helping people.

I sure hope it keeps going on this way. Let's never get tired of the
newbie questions!

And let's never stop doing the ruby-talk-question effect (RTQE). That's
when someone asks an innocent question, then they get 20 replies and an
entire huge thread devoted to their small question, which was mostly
answered by the first guy. However, now for all time there is stored on
ruby-talk 19 different ways to solve this one coding problem.

Keep it up!

Love to my dearest Ruby-Talk,
Hampton.

-hampton.