Forum: Ruby on Rails gem update fails with "checking for fcgiapp.h... no"

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
7bcee1558d722d8ad147a33121a8d52a?d=identicon&s=25 GoranTornqvist (Guest)
on 2005-12-19 14:57
Hello,
Trying to do gem update on my existing system that's been working fine
for a couple of months. This is what I get:
=====================================
bash-2.05b# gem update
Upgrading installed gems...
Attempting remote upgrade of fcgi
Attempting remote installation of 'fcgi'
Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
    ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
Gem files will remain installed in
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fcgi-0.8.6.1 for inspection.
  ruby extconf.rb update\nchecking for fcgiapp.h... no
checking for fastcgi/fcgiapp.h... no


Results logged to
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fcgi-0.8.6.1/ext/gem_make.out

bash-2.05b# more
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fcgi-0.8.6.1/ext/gem_make.out
ruby extconf.rb update
checking for fcgiapp.h... no
checking for fastcgi/fcgiapp.h... no
=====================================

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks for any help...
7bcee1558d722d8ad147a33121a8d52a?d=identicon&s=25 GoranTornqvist (Guest)
on 2005-12-19 20:32
solved it...
fcgipp.h was in /usr/local/include
symlinking to /usr/include solved it.
B7f7698eb09ca0849906c023fe6206d3?d=identicon&s=25 Bob Smyph (bobsmyph)
on 2009-08-10 16:58
GoranTornqvist wrote:
> solved it...
> fcgipp.h was in /usr/local/include
> symlinking to /usr/include solved it.


I do not understand what you mean by 'symlinking' could you please
explain?
Dd2d775dea75b381edb1bbf0600a0907?d=identicon&s=25 Marnen Laibow-Koser (marnen)
on 2009-08-10 17:59
Bob Smyph wrote:
> GoranTornqvist wrote:
>> solved it...
>> fcgipp.h was in /usr/local/include
>> symlinking to /usr/include solved it.
>
>
> I do not understand what you mean by 'symlinking' could you please
> explain?

He made a symbolic link ("symlink") to that file.  Since this is an OS
concept and not a Rails one, I think I should refer you to Google before
we go off topic.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org
marnen@marnen.org
Bb548319cbaf8300d268ddac3c526e54?d=identicon&s=25 Marek Veber (marek-veber)
on 2009-10-21 00:37
Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:
> Bob Smyph wrote:
>> GoranTornqvist wrote:
>>> solved it...
>>> fcgipp.h was in /usr/local/include
>>> symlinking to /usr/include solved it.
>>
>>
>> I do not understand what you mean by 'symlinking' could you please
>> explain?
>
> He made a symbolic link ("symlink") to that file.  Since this is an OS
> concept and not a Rails one, I think I should refer you to Google before
> we go off topic.


In my case the problem was:
# cc -E -I. -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux -I.  -fno-strict-aliasing -g
-g -O2  -fPIC  conftest.c -o conftest.i

bash: cc: command not found

The solution is to install gcc
Bb548319cbaf8300d268ddac3c526e54?d=identicon&s=25 Marek Veber (marek-veber)
on 2009-10-21 00:56
Marek Veber wrote:
> The solution is to install gcc

and libc6-dev

My case is Ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS (hardy)
use:

apt-get install rubygems libc6-dev gcc libfcgi-dev ruby1.8-dev
gem update
gem install rails -y

not only:
apt-get install rubygems
...
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.