Forum: Inkscape Re: CMYK in PDF from Inkscape

44dc6e055ce5b0c4920e9f88be72a61a?d=identicon&s=25 Judah (Guest)
Wow such community.

Thanks all for the replies, with a lack of a good mailing list reader I
have to reply generally or top post so forgive any confusion that might
come from this.

My original post was a feeler to see if anyone may have been successful
in creating a pdf in CMYK colourspace straight out of inkscape using
ghostscript/monshiner, instead of the extra step in Scribus.

Chris they insist on CMYK because the inks used are C=Cyan M=Magenta
Y=Yellow K=Black and the plates they use are separations of/to these
colours/inks.

Gez, I know inkscape doesnt really work well for a purely CMYK workflow,
I knew that from the start. I must say that your statement about CMYK
values tied to press settings are not what I, nor anyone I know in
print and design have been doing, maybe your statement would make more
sense(for me anyway) if you mentioned that printer ICC profiles are tied
to specific press settings.

Even so, thanks all for the responses I'll have to continue using the
ICC linking method in the mean time.
F4ca76060d0eed67a37b4a92cf809545?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Mohler (Guest)
On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 3:34 AM, Judah <judahyodh@gmail.com> wrote:
> Chris they insist on CMYK because the inks used are C=Cyan M=Magenta
> Y=Yellow K=Black and the plates they use are separations of/to these
> colours/inks.

When I was running the print shop (small operation), we insisted on
CMYK files too.  But mainly because we were sick of people sending in
R:0 G:0 B:255 and getting the complaint "what can't it be as blue as
it is on my screen?"  ;)

I still tend to "mid-bind" these days if I can, or early bind.  Rich
black vs. 100%K is a constant issue in a lot of the stuff I'm putting
together.  And to be honest, I tend to use Inkscape to draw a portion
of a layout rather than put together the complete design.  I just
threw my process out there because I just went through the project
where the client insisted that the source file be created in Inkscape,
and also needed a CMYK PDF to submit to the publisher.

tl;dr - I agree, good luck ;)

Chris
Existing account

No account? Register here.