Forum: Ruby Reminder: Phoenix.rb Meeting Monday, Dec 19

Just a reminder that the Phoenix Ruby Users Group is meeting this coming
Monday evening, Dec 19 2005.

Details are up on the Refresh Phoenix wiki

http://refreshphoenix.org/wiki/phoenixrubyusersgroup

James Britt

1b62a85b59ccab03b84ee5ec378f75b4?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Litt (Guest)
On Saturday 17 December 2005 07:15 pm, James Britt wrote:
> Just a reminder that the Phoenix Ruby Users Group is meeting this
> coming Monday evening, Dec 19 2005.
>
> Details are up on the Refresh Phoenix wiki
>
> http://refreshphoenix.org/wiki/phoenixrubyusersgroup

Does anyone know if there's a Ruby group in Orlando Florida, or
Orange or Seminole County Florida?

SteveT

Steve Litt
http://www.troubleshooters.com
slitt@troubleshooters.com
4b174722d1b1a4bbd9672e1ab50c30a9?d=identicon&s=25 Ryan Leavengood (Guest)
On 12/17/05, Steve Litt <slitt@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Does anyone know if there's a Ruby group in Orlando Florida, or
> Orange or Seminole County Florida?

For some reason Florida Rubyists seem to be rare. I'm in South Florida
myself (Boynton Beach to be exact, south of West Palm Beach.) It seems
we need to create some groups in our areas and start recruiting new
Rubyists!

Ryan
Ryan Leavengood wrote:
> On 12/17/05, Steve Litt <slitt@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know if there's a Ruby group in Orlando Florida, or
>>Orange or Seminole County Florida?
>

> For some reason Florida Rubyists seem to be rare. I'm in South Florida
> myself (Boynton Beach to be exact, south of West Palm Beach.) It seems
> we need to create some groups in our areas and start recruiting new
> Rubyists!

You may want to consider stealing some ideas from the way the Phoenix
group was reborn.

Some years ago I had added an entry to the RubyGarden wiki for a Phoenix
users group, but nothing ever came of it.  Then I heard about meetup.com
(before it went for-pay), and saw there was a Phoenix Ruby group listed
there.  It never thrived.

Recently, though, a few people (including 30 Second Rule) copped an idea
from Refresh Dallas and decided to create a social environment for Web
developers.  Refresh Phoenix was born, and at the first meeting I
learned that there were many pockets of people either using Ruby or
looking to learn more about it.

At the second Refresh Phoenix meeting I got together with current and
future Rubyists, and I expect 10-12 people to come to our first meeting
this Monday.

No doubt the Rails hype helped bring Ruby to the attention of many PHP
and ASP.net developers, but that's not the whole story, and I think the
real key was seeing that people learn of Ruby in many ways, but they do
not always know about ruby-talk or RubyGarden or the various Ruby Web
sites.

I seem to recall some folks talking of a Refresh group forming up in
Florida, but couldn't find anything specific.  If there isn't one
already, consider forming your own.  While the general theme of Refresh
Phoenix is Web stuff, many people came to the meetings because it was
the best chance to meet other geeks and freaks, and pretty much all
software work today has some involvement with the Internet.

In any event, you may have to cast a wide net to reach many people who
are interested in Ruby but are unfamiliar with the usual Ruby channels.

http://refreshphoenix.org/

James Britt

On 12/18/05, James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com> wrote:

> I seem to recall some folks talking of a Refresh group forming up in
> Florida, but couldn't find anything specific.  If there isn't one
> already, consider forming your own.  While the general theme of Refresh
> Phoenix is Web stuff, many people came to the meetings because it was
> the best chance to meet other geeks and freaks, and pretty much all
> software work today has some involvement with the Internet.
>
> In any event, you may have to cast a wide net to reach many people who
> are interested in Ruby but are unfamiliar with the usual Ruby channels.

Thanks for the tips James. I also have an interest in web development
in general, so this sounds right up my alley.

I like the look of the Refresh Phoenix site...though you stole our
Florida oranges! ;)

Ryan
Ryan Leavengood wrote:
>>are interested in Ruby but are unfamiliar with the usual Ruby channels.
>

> Thanks for the tips James. I also have an interest in web development
> in general, so this sounds right up my alley.

Good to hear.  Give a shout if you start something up.

> I like the look of the Refresh Phoenix site...though you stole our
> Florida oranges! ;)

Hey, I've got an orange tree in my backyard.

:)

James