Forum: Ruby gem: after installing display text

B56ee52ea0626a8d88b7262f4efa6fd7?d=identicon&s=25 Kurt V. Hindenburg (Guest)
Hello,
  Is it possible to display some message after installing a gem?  I have
a gem
and I want to inform the user about a few items... this would seem like
common thing but I couldn't find any info on it.
  Thanks,
     Kurt
On Dec 17, 2005, at 1:28 PM, Kurt V. Hindenburg wrote:

> Hello,
>   Is it possible to display some message after installing a gem?  I
> have a gem
> and I want to inform the user about a few items... this would seem
> like a
> common thing but I couldn't find any info on it.

Ok, we're writing up a card for it.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://segment7.net

http://trackmap.robotcoop.com
82e62c756d89bc6fa0a0a2d7f2b1e617?d=identicon&s=25 Ross Bamford (Guest)

Is there any chance it could be made slightly more general? Like:

	http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail...

so you could 'puts' any message you liked, and also do additional
installation (e.g. manpages) or processing (e.g. populate a database
from
the net).
On 17/12/05, Ross Bamford <rosco@roscopeco.remove.co.uk> wrote:
> Is there any chance it could be made slightly more general? Like:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail...

> so you could 'puts' any message you liked, and also do additional
> installation (e.g. manpages) or processing (e.g. populate a database from
> the net).

I would suggest that the feature be set up as follows:

  * Any gem may display a message.
  * Signed gems may execute extra commands, but only after asking the
user.

The user should ultimately be able to identify authors that are
trusted so that trusted signed gems may execute extra stuff without
asking the user.

-austin
Ff260830c27224f0e15f37362a6256d0?d=identicon&s=25 Paul Duncan (Guest)
* Austin Ziegler (halostatue@gmail.com) wrote:

>   * Any gem may display a message.
>   * Signed gems may execute extra commands, but only after asking the user.
>
> The user should ultimately be able to identify authors that are
> trusted so that trusted signed gems may execute extra stuff without
> asking the user.

The Gem signing code has a rudimentary security policy framework
(Gem::Security::Policy) which could be extended to support this
behavior.
82e62c756d89bc6fa0a0a2d7f2b1e617?d=identicon&s=25 Ross Bamford (Guest)
On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:28:33 -0000, Austin Ziegler
<halostatue@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I would suggest that the feature be set up as follows:
>
>   * Any gem may display a message.
>   * Signed gems may execute extra commands, but only after asking the
> user.
>
> The user should ultimately be able to identify authors that are
> trusted so that trusted signed gems may execute extra stuff without
> asking the user.

That seems sensible. It would certainly be a nice feature to have (for
me,
anyway), but since I guess most gem installs run as root it's definitely
good point that it has to be trustworthy. :)

I guess it could have a similar keystore functionality to RPM or
similar,
grab key and install with gem install-key or something. Nothing too
fancy...