Forum: Ruby on Rails Lighttpd Restart Script

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
00e3a96684ab390a350b0271e98741d3?d=identicon&s=25 Nshbrown Nshbrown (nshb)
on 2005-12-17 14:57
(Received via mailing list)
After quite a bit of searching and coding, I customized an init.d/bash
script which allows me to manage multiple instances of Lighttpd server
running Rails.

It targets the specific PID address instead of the default binary
location
when starting and stopping /usr/local/bin/lighttpd process.

This provides the ability in my case to have multiple lighttpd.conf
files
running many different instances and be able to restart each without
disturbing the next.

You can find the script at
http://www.nshb.net/lighttpd-restart-script.html.
Comments are welcome.

Regards,
Nathaniel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Nathaniel S. H. Brown                           http://nshb.net
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
8e44c65ac5b896da534ef2440121c953?d=identicon&s=25 Ezra Zygmuntowicz (Guest)
on 2005-12-17 22:16
(Received via mailing list)
On Dec 17, 2005, at 5:58 AM, Nathaniel S. H. Brown wrote:

> running many different instances and be able to restart each without
>  Nathaniel S. H. Brown                           http://nshb.net
Cool. Thanks Nathaniel. I will check this one out. Will it let you
restart your fcgi's without restarting lighttpd?

Cheers-
-Ezra Zygmuntowicz
WebMaster
Yakima Herald-Republic Newspaper
ezra@yakima-herald.com
509-577-7732
7c4087d053eb02d099a17d91ba5e33b5?d=identicon&s=25 Brian V. Hughes (Guest)
on 2005-12-17 22:19
(Received via mailing list)
Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:
>>
>> This provides the ability in my case to have multiple lighttpd.conf files
>> running many different instances and be able to restart each without
>> disturbing the next.
>>
>> You can find the script at
>> http://www.nshb.net/lighttpd-restart-script.html.
>> Comments are welcome.
>
> Cool. Thanks Nathaniel. I will check this one out.

Actually, I've been wondering about this. I've seen a number of posts
recently
about ways to restart Lighttpd and I'm not sure why that's the case. How
often
are people changing their lighttpd.conf files? Is this a Windows thing
that I'm
just not seeing under Mac OS X and Linux?

> Will it let you restart your fcgi's without restarting lighttpd?

This is what script/process/reaper is for. It's pretty much the only
thing I've
used since it came out in 0.14.1/0.14.2 and it's awesome. Plus, if you
can
configure your lighttpd to start as your user, then you can do
script/process/reaper without needing sudo.

-Brian
00e3a96684ab390a350b0271e98741d3?d=identicon&s=25 Nshbrown Nshbrown (nshb)
on 2005-12-18 02:14
(Received via mailing list)
After reading this how-to,
http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/LighttpdWi....

You will find that by running the script/server and spinner/spawner
instances that it runs a single instance for that process.

My server runs many domains, and requires each to have their own
instance of
the lighttpd being able to be managed without disturbing the next. The
lighttpd.sh script that was included with the lighttpd 1.3.7 package
when
ran, starts the instance itself, but when I ran stop, it would kill all
processes matching the /usr/local/bin/lighttpd binary. This package
solves
that by specifically addressing the PID file associated to the lighttpd
instance for that configuration file.

In addition, the script that I have created can be placed in the
/etc/init.d/ or rc.d directory and will be ran on boot time of the
server,
or manually managed by running the (start|stop|restart|reload|status)
options on the script.

David Gibbons had mentioned on his blog about using the @restart flag
within
the cron entry to manage the lighttpd instance. This will work well for
starting the lighttpd server on reboot. But what happens if someone
decides
to killall -9 all the /usr/bin/local/lighttpd processes by accident?

In such a case to ensure that your server is always running, you want to
be
able to probe the lighttpd instance itself, and be able to ensure that
it is
always up, you can do so by running the bin/lighttd.sh script every 5
minutes which will check to ensure the process is alive by checking the
pid
file and running a focused process status, and if the server is not
running
already it will start it for you.

Such as putting this in your crontab file.

*/5 * * * *     /home/httpd/vhosts/example.com/lighttpd/bin/lighttpd.sh
start >/dev/null 2>&1

In addition to this bash script, I have just completed a full
lighttpd-package template which I use to deploy my lighttpd installs on
my
system. And have made it available at
http://nshb.net/lighttpd-package.html

Regards,
Nathaniel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Nathaniel S. H. Brown                           http://nshb.net
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
7c4087d053eb02d099a17d91ba5e33b5?d=identicon&s=25 Brian V. Hughes (Guest)
on 2005-12-18 04:56
(Received via mailing list)
Nathaniel S. H. Brown wrote:
> After reading this how-to,
> http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/LighttpdWi....
>
> You will find that by running the script/server and spinner/spawner
> instances that it runs a single instance for that process.

I didn't say anything about spinner and spawner. In fact, the stuff I've
read
seems to indicate that spinner/spawner are meant to be used with
scripttower
deployments. I was talking about the reaper command for restarting the
FastCGI
listeners that control your app. Lighttpd is really just a HTTP reverse
proxy
for the application, if it's run by FastCGI/SCGI.

> My server runs many domains, and requires each to have their own instance of
> the lighttpd being able to be managed without disturbing the next.

No problem. That's not only easy to do, it's one of the preferred ways
that
Lighttpd should be run, based on the stuff I've read. (I don't claim to
be a
Lighttpd expert)

> The lighttpd.sh script that was included with the lighttpd 1.3.7 package when
>  ran, starts the instance itself, but when I ran stop, it would kill all
> processes matching the /usr/local/bin/lighttpd binary. This package solves
> that by specifically addressing the PID file associated to the lighttpd
> instance for that configuration file.

My question is why are you starting and stopping the specific Lighttpd
process,
when there's a better way to restart/reload your Rails application? Are
you, in
fact, making new changes to the lighttpd.conf file each time you start
and stop
Lighttpd? If not, then I don't understand why you are bouncing that
process.

> In addition, the script that I have created can be placed in the
> /etc/init.d/ or rc.d directory and will be ran on boot time of the server,
> or manually managed by running the (start|stop|restart|reload|status)
> options on the script.

Having startups automatically happen is a good thing. But all you really
need is
something that calls Lighttpd with the specific .conf file for your
app/domain/virtual host. Right? Am I missing something?

> David Gibbons had mentioned on his blog about using the @restart flag within
> the cron entry to manage the lighttpd instance. This will work well for
> starting the lighttpd server on reboot. But what happens if someone decides
> to killall -9 all the /usr/bin/local/lighttpd processes by accident?

If that last statement is indicative of what can happen on the
production server
that hosts your Rails apps, I'm really sorry to hear that. I guess,
whatever you
need to do to try and operate under those potential conditions is
necessary.

> start >/dev/null 2>&1
Like I said. If there's a possibility that someone with root access on
your
server would "accidentally" kill -9 just the Lighttpd processes,
whatever you
need to do to keep them running is fine by me. I would be looking for
another
server admin, or a new hosting service, rather than trying to deal with
that
level of potential accident.

> In addition to this bash script, I have just completed a full
> lighttpd-package template which I use to deploy my lighttpd installs on my
> system. And have made it available at http://nshb.net/lighttpd-package.html

Sounds good. I will most likely take a look, as I like to learn from
those with
more experience than me in the systems that run my
applications/services.
However, I've been running Lighttpd on my OS X Tiger server and I've
never had a
case where the Lighttpd process was accidentally killed (at least, not a
case
that didn't coincide with a building/campus wide power outage that
lasted longer
than our UPS's.

For those not in the extreme situation as Nathaniel, please quit mucking
with
your Lighttpd processes if you aren't making changes to the associated
conf file
that you need to enable. Use reaper to reload your Rails app code and
reset the
page caches. Based on what I've read and how I've seen it used, that's
was
reaper was built for...

-Brian
--
Brian V. Hughes
Associate Director for Web Operations (aka. Webmaster)
Computing Technical Services
Dartmouth College
http://www.dartmouth.edu/comp/
7c4087d053eb02d099a17d91ba5e33b5?d=identicon&s=25 Brian V. Hughes (Guest)
on 2005-12-18 04:59
(Received via mailing list)
On 12/17/05 Brian V. Hughes wrote:
> for restarting the FastCGI listeners that control your app. Lighttpd
> is really just a HTTP reverse proxy for the application, if it's run
> by FastCGI/SCGI.

Sorry, I meant Switchtower, not Scripttower. See, told you I wasn't an
expert,
yet. :)

-Brian
3ba9bd833d418d4c4002dde0750499ff?d=identicon&s=25 Adrian Madrid (Guest)
on 2005-12-19 19:06
(Received via mailing list)
Nathaniel,

Thanks for the script! After months of fiddling around with this I
finally found what I was looking for. The only thing I modified from
your script was adding a DOMAIN line so I can multiply/modify the script
easier and I also added a binary variable for sleep. Here are my mods:

# Binary Paths
CAT="/bin/cat"
PS="/bin/ps"
*SLEEP="/bin/sleep"*
HTTPD="/usr/local/sbin/lighttpd"

# Modifiy this line for each install
*DOMAIN="xyz.abc.com"*
PATH="/home/abc/domains/"*$DOMAIN*"/run/"
LIGHTTPD_CONF=$PATH"lighttpd.conf"
PIDFILE=$PATH"lighttpd.pid"


Thanks again,


Adrian Madrid
HyperX Inc.
Mobile: 801.815.1870
Office: 801.566.0670
aemadrid@hyperxmedia.com
www.hyperxmedia.com

9000 S. 45 W.
Sandy, UT 84070
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.