Forum: Ruby on Rails Edge Rails Instructions out of date?

8c7a98649cdbbdf39eeed17ca9bdbbd3?d=identicon&s=25 Josh Charles (Guest)
hello all,

I currently have Rails 1.0 installed, and was hoping to get the latest
edge rails.  Following the directions found at:

http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/EdgeRails

I ran the following command:

rake freeze_edge

The command ran without a problem.  When I went to update my
application, however, by running the following command:

ruby /path/to/project/vendor/rails/railties/bin/rails .

I found a problem.  railties/bin/ does not exist.  I poked around
looking for what I should run instead, but nothing really fit.  I'm
running windows right now, so perhaps this is a link problem?  My main
machine is Suse 9.3, but I don't have access to it at the moment.
Will try running this tonight and see what happens.

Did the instructions change, or is this a problem with how the code
was checked out of svn?

Josh
2ccb2f7699267d258faaafce4ee997df?d=identicon&s=25 Cody Fauser (Guest)
Josh,

rake freeze_edge currently only exports the lib directory of each
framework component.  Instead you could do the following:
cd vendor/
rm -rf rails
svn export http://dev.rubyonrails.org/svn/rails/trunk rails

Then run:
rake update_javascripts
rake add_new_scripts

There are more instructions you can follow from the wiki page as well
under "For a Project Not Under Subversion Control" and "For a Project
Under Subversion Control".

Cody

On 12/16/05, Josh Charles <josh.charles@gmail.com> wrote:

> Did the instructions change, or is this a problem with how the code
> was checked out of svn?
>
> Josh

http://www.codyfauser.com
8c7a98649cdbbdf39eeed17ca9bdbbd3?d=identicon&s=25 Josh Charles (Guest)
Thanks Cody.  That makes sense now.  the rake command seemed like a
shortcut, but now I see that is not the case.

Thanks again,
Josh