Forum: Ruby How come I get two e-mails?

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
753eea12c847b16e7d0bdb2c5a385304?d=identicon&s=25 Francis Vidal (Guest)
on 2005-12-16 07:39
(Received via mailing list)
Hi,

How come I get two e-mails everytime I post here?
2c9df8192dfebf429c5a8b8d9ba0f630?d=identicon&s=25 Mike Douglas (Guest)
on 2005-12-16 07:45
(Received via mailing list)
On 12/15/05, Francis Vidal <francisv.list@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How come I get two e-mails everytime I post here?

Gmail includes your sent message in the conversation view and the
ruby-talk mailing list daemon sends one to all list members (including
you). Nothing to worry about.
753eea12c847b16e7d0bdb2c5a385304?d=identicon&s=25 Francis Vidal (Guest)
on 2005-12-16 07:51
(Received via mailing list)
Hmm.. I thought it was a mailing list "feature" of some sort. Thanks
Mike!
E823a4df8d9d93c0f6097f9a118048e6?d=identicon&s=25 luke (Guest)
on 2005-12-16 09:18
(Received via mailing list)
should this question be added to the comp.lang.ruby FAQ do you think? it
seems to be a question that is quite frequently asked so as to qualify.
maybe it could become question 2.7






"Mike Douglas" <mike.douglas@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:2067f0da0512152244t1fe88902ve46c73a51e570c24@mail.gmail.com...
52c6d96af722d77cb35d380105f323d5?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Game (Guest)
on 2005-12-16 12:28
(Received via mailing list)
luke wrote:

> should this question be added to the comp.lang.ruby FAQ do you
> think? it seems to be a question that is quite frequently asked
> so as to qualify. maybe it could become question 2.7

....to which the answer would be, use the newsgroup not the mail
list?

--
Chris Game

"Some software or hardware problem no doubt," -- Grimly Fiendish
31e038e4e9330f6c75ccfd1fca8010ee?d=identicon&s=25 Gregory Brown (Guest)
on 2005-12-16 13:59
(Received via mailing list)
On 12/16/05, Chris Game <chrisgame@example.net> wrote:
> luke wrote:
>
> > should this question be added to the comp.lang.ruby FAQ do you
> > think? it seems to be a question that is quite frequently asked
> > so as to qualify. maybe it could become question 2.7
>
> ....to which the answer would be, use the newsgroup not the mail
> list?

That's a little... no... incredibly steep considering the situation.

The issue is not present in all mail readers.  Just ones like GMail ;)

To the OP, search the archive and see the discussion about GMail,
there is a way to get around this with filtering but it has some nasty
side effects.
Fd22ee3cfc7dac283ce8e451af324f7d?d=identicon&s=25 Chad Perrin (Guest)
on 2005-12-16 21:47
(Received via mailing list)
On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 08:27:45PM +0900, Chris Game wrote:
> luke wrote:
>
> > should this question be added to the comp.lang.ruby FAQ do you
> > think? it seems to be a question that is quite frequently asked
> > so as to qualify. maybe it could become question 2.7
>
> ....to which the answer would be, use the newsgroup not the mail
> list?

No . . . to which the answer would be: "Use something other than Gmail,
or learn to live with it."  Possibly with some explanation.

--
Chad Perrin [ CCD CopyWrite | http://ccd.apotheon.org ]

unix virus: If you're using a unixlike OS, please forward
this to 20 others and erase your system partition.
Aad37b5f7116c8d1f547d23b37566032?d=identicon&s=25 Greg Donald (Guest)
on 2005-12-17 01:19
(Received via mailing list)
On 12/16/05, Gregory Brown <gregory.t.brown@gmail.com> wrote:
> The issue is not present in all mail readers.  Just ones like GMail ;)

Nor is this issue present on all list serves.  I do not see this
behaviour on php-general, mysql, pgsql-general, or my local lug's list
serve.



--
Greg Donald
Zend Certified Engineer
MySQL Core Certification
http://destiney.com/
31e038e4e9330f6c75ccfd1fca8010ee?d=identicon&s=25 Gregory Brown (Guest)
on 2005-12-17 01:29
(Received via mailing list)
On 12/16/05, Greg Donald <gdonald@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/16/05, Gregory Brown <gregory.t.brown@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The issue is not present in all mail readers.  Just ones like GMail ;)
>
> Nor is this issue present on all list serves.  I do not see this
> behaviour on php-general, mysql, pgsql-general, or my local lug's list
> serve.

so is this an issue with USENET groups and Gmail?

Idk... it annoys me but you get used to it or work around it. :-/
67cb6fef42a83929955ce5a5b3f33f6e?d=identicon&s=25 Jon Smirl (Guest)
on 2005-12-17 04:53
(Received via mailing list)
I think this this is a problem in the FML mailer. I am subscribed to
many other email lists and they don't have this problem. Can FML be
configured to not echo a message back to the person who sent it?
67cb6fef42a83929955ce5a5b3f33f6e?d=identicon&s=25 Jon Smirl (Guest)
on 2005-12-17 05:02
(Received via mailing list)
I also don't think FML should be setting a Reply-To: header.  If it
were to leave that header out reply and reply all would work correctly
in gmail.
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.