Forum: Ruby on Rails Dynamic Text Replacement

B614e42d18c609ac4585d0aa0b13d856?d=identicon&s=25 Jim Jeffers (Guest)
I noticed there are a lot of PHP based dynamic text replacement
examples out there such as:
http://artypapers.com/csshelppile/pcdtr/

Is there anything like this for Ruby / Rails?  I know there's always
SiFR but that method is often frustrating because I've noticed
significant slow down in page load time even on pages that use it
sparingly.
E2ea3825e6e037e45b490d0c41e0d7b9?d=identicon&s=25 Fabien Franzen (Guest)
> Is there anything like this for Ruby / Rails?

I have something similar in my PHP framework. It's the perfect approach
IMHO.

So who's the first to claim RoR image replacement? If I get around it on
time
I'll give it a shot.

- Fabien
55742d912a9003080d202c5522d4de00?d=identicon&s=25 Ken Bowley (Guest)
Can someone explain why I would want to do this?  After looking at the
example, I just don't see the usefullness of this feature.
Af9447156f5c756806f1c0a0444c1ff6?d=identicon&s=25 Andrew Semprebon (Guest)
Mainly, its there so you can put your headers in fonts that the user may
not
have on his PC.
55742d912a9003080d202c5522d4de00?d=identicon&s=25 Ken Bowley (Guest)
Got it..  go through a lot of extra work to have someone view a graphic
instead of plain text.
Af9447156f5c756806f1c0a0444c1ff6?d=identicon&s=25 Andrew Semprebon (Guest)
Right, althogh ideally, once you put the framework in place, it would
minimize (or even eliminate) the "a lot of extra work" part, at least on
your part (obviously the server still has to slave away serving the
images).
0727907ae68db2e8ebc1ea1b01f00d69?d=identicon&s=25 Dan Webb (Guest)

I've just implemented the exact thing you are after on our new blog,
http://www.vivabit.com/bollocks using RMagick.  I'd like to release
the code soon but I've not got it up to library standard yet
(configuration is not as easy as it would need to be for general use).
 Its a little more complex than the PHP ones posted because we wanted
the replaced text to wrap in liquid layouts and we didn't use the
native text rendering because it was a bit nasty and my design
collegue is really picky (see this post:
http://www.vivabit.com/bollocks/2005/12/19/magick-...
)

If you can wait untill after xmas I'll release it as a plugin...when
it's out I'd love some feedback.

Cheers,

Dan

On 12/22/05, Andrew Semprebon <semprebon@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]