Forum: Ruby-Forum.com Email spam

7284167ee91af66fcd739a42e3df3804?d=identicon&s=25 Julian Gall (juliangall)
on 2005-12-15 12:59
I've just registered with the forum and am a little concerned that my
email address is unencoded in the HTML source for all spam crawlers to
see. There also seems to be no way for me to modify it to include "(at)
gmail (dot) com" etc.

I see at the bottom of the page there is "ruby-forum (at) andreas-s
(dot) net". Don't the humble forum users get the same chance to stay off
the spam lists?

Can I get my email changed manually by someone? "julian (dot) gall (at)
gmail (dot) com" would do nicely :) Thank you.

Julian
3a83969376c805ef5b6042191fdb0ff3?d=identicon&s=25 Andreas S. (andreas)
on 2005-12-15 13:54
Julian Gall wrote:
> I've just registered with the forum and am a little concerned that my
> email address is unencoded in the HTML source for all spam crawlers to
> see.

The email address is only shown to registered users. But the spam
crawlers can get your email address from one of the dozen mirrors and
archives of the mailing lists that your posts are forwarded to anyway,
so it wouldn't matter.
7284167ee91af66fcd739a42e3df3804?d=identicon&s=25 Julian Gall (juliangall)
on 2005-12-15 18:41
Andreas S. wrote:
> Julian Gall wrote:
>> I've just registered with the forum and am a little concerned that my
>> email address is unencoded in the HTML source for all spam crawlers to
>> see.
>
> The email address is only shown to registered users. But the spam
> crawlers can get your email address from one of the dozen mirrors and
> archives of the mailing lists that your posts are forwarded to anyway,
> so it wouldn't matter.

OK. I hadn't realised you had to log in to see the address. But are you
saying the posts get sent to archives and mirrors with the email address
included?

Julian
3a83969376c805ef5b6042191fdb0ff3?d=identicon&s=25 Andreas S. (andreas)
on 2005-12-15 18:54
Julian Gall wrote:
> Andreas S. wrote:
>> Julian Gall wrote:
>>> I've just registered with the forum and am a little concerned that my
>>> email address is unencoded in the HTML source for all spam crawlers to
>>> see.
>>
>> The email address is only shown to registered users. But the spam
>> crawlers can get your email address from one of the dozen mirrors and
>> archives of the mailing lists that your posts are forwarded to anyway,
>> so it wouldn't matter.
>
> OK. I hadn't realised you had to log in to see the address. But are you
> saying the posts get sent to archives and mirrors with the email address
> included?

If you post to the Ruby or Rails forum, the posts will be forwarded to
the mailing list.