Forum: Ruby on Rails Newbie questions about Rails on Windows

7284167ee91af66fcd739a42e3df3804?d=identicon&s=25 Julian Gall (juliangall)
on 2005-12-15 12:50
My background is Windows development using Visual Studio and I'm trying
to get up to speed with Ruby on Rails, so please excuse these basic
questions.

I've downloaded InstantRails and can run the sample application - so
Apache, MySQL, Ruby etc. are working.

Where's the "development environment"? Where do I go to edit files,
create models and controllers etc? Where can I run unit tests and see a
green bar on success? Do I need some other applications perhaps?

Thanks

Julian
48e2f53bc3396f2633673907dd0d62ad?d=identicon&s=25 Naroor Rathish (naroor)
on 2005-12-15 12:55
Hi Julian ,
 Actually we dont have a Developement enviroment as such for ruby on
rails like we have Visual Studio 6 or visual studio 2003.You can make
use of any text editors or the basic Notepad for creating the Rails
related files and editing those .
  Also you should use the dos command prompt for entering the ruby
related commands like the "ruby script/server " .

Thanx and regards,
Naroor Rathish,
www.naroor.blogspot.com
D696ad78661527447c37ac282186da4a?d=identicon&s=25 Serbulent UNSAL (Guest)
on 2005-12-15 13:09
Hi julian,

Personally i use RadRails ide which is based on eclipse. You can find it
via http://www.radrails.org/. And also there is Komodo  (
http://www.activestate.com/Products/Komodo/ ) which have an educational
free licance option. Good days...
5cfd7e9223637ea26c81c2cc3e43799e?d=identicon&s=25 Craig Webster (Guest)
On 15 Dec 2005, at 11:50, Julian Gall wrote:
> Where's the "development environment"? Where do I go to edit files,
> create models and controllers etc? Where can I run unit tests and
> see a
> green bar on success? Do I need some other applications perhaps?

Rails isn't an IDE like Visual Studio; it's a framework. You might
want to check out the excellent Rolling with Ruby on Rails tutorial
[1] which will talk you through starting with RoR using Windows and
will give you a sample project to play with.

[1] http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/01/20/rail...

Yours,
Craig
--
Craig Webster | t: +44 (0)131 516 8595 | e: craig@xeriom.net
Xeriom.NET    | f: +44 (0)709 287 1902 | w: http://xeriom.net

Still looking for a test runner, though.

Julian