Forum: Ruby on Rails .rpdf ?

A78fabe22aa7df17f05cb02e622e20a7?d=identicon&s=25 Jerrett Taylor (Guest)
I haven't delved into the wonderful world of PDF::Writer yet, nor have I
run across a need.. but I just had an idea I wanted to throw out there

how hard would it be to create a .rpdf template plugin for rails?

could be neat ;]
Cee0292fffa691f1fb320d5400200e99?d=identicon&s=25 Marcel Molina Jr. (Guest)
On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 05:34:33PM -0800, Jerrett Taylor wrote:
> I haven't delved into the wonderful world of PDF::Writer yet, nor have I
> run across a need.. but I just had an idea I wanted to throw out there
>
> how hard would it be to create a .rpdf template plugin for rails?
>
> could be neat ;]

Plugging in a new templating system for Rails is easy. Liquid does it
without
a problem.

Take a look at that project for pointers:
http://home.leetsoft.com/liquid

Also recently someone wrote an Amrita2 templating plugin:
http://amrita2.rubyforge.org/Rails.html

marcel
A78fabe22aa7df17f05cb02e622e20a7?d=identicon&s=25 Jerrett Taylor (Guest)
Yup, that's what i was thinking. If I ever need to use PDF, I'll
probably poke at it. I dunno when or if that'll happen though.

I noticed a few people on the list playing with PDf stuff, and thought
it'd be worth bringing up - if people are doing extensive PDF work,
might make their (and others) lives easier to make a plugin.

sometimes I wish I had more time ;]
8c7a98649cdbbdf39eeed17ca9bdbbd3?d=identicon&s=25 Josh Charles (Guest)
I was just going to suggest the same thing!  I was writing the email
when your popped in.  This certainly is a good idea.
On 12/14/05, Marcel Molina Jr. <marcel@vernix.org> wrote:
> Plugging in a new templating system for Rails is easy. Liquid does it without
> a problem.
>
> Take a look at that project for pointers:
> http://home.leetsoft.com/liquid
>
> Also recently someone wrote an Amrita2 templating plugin:
> http://amrita2.rubyforge.org/Rails.html

Is there anyone interested in working on this?  I think I'm going to
take a shot at it, as it will be quite useful to me, and release it as
a plugin.  Anyone interested in working with me?
39b36b2be47228f8619d61ea7a607a25?d=identicon&s=25 Matthew Beale (Guest)
On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 20:18 -0600, Josh Charles wrote:
> Is there anyone interested in working on this?  I think I'm going to
> take a shot at it, as it will be quite useful to me, and release it as
> a plugin.  Anyone interested in working with me?

*cough* I'm already poking around:

http://home.leetsoft.com/liquid/browser/trunk
http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/Plugins
http://www.jamis.jamisbuck.org/articles/2005/10/11...

Looks like liquid is the best spot to start, we can start bouncing
emails off-list if you'd like.  Anyone else can feel free to jump in!

-Matthew Beale
mixonic@synitech.com :: 607 227 0871
8c7a98649cdbbdf39eeed17ca9bdbbd3?d=identicon&s=25 Josh Charles (Guest)
I've submitted a project to Ruby Forge for a central repository and
release location.  Hopefully I will hear back from them soon (the site
says within 72 hours).

Josh
On 12/14/05, Matthew Beale <mixonic@synitech.com> wrote:
> *cough* I'm already poking around:
>
> http://home.leetsoft.com/liquid/browser/trunk
> http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/Plugins
> http://www.jamis.jamisbuck.org/articles/2005/10/11...
>
> Looks like liquid is the best spot to start, we can start bouncing
> emails off-list if you'd like.  Anyone else can feel free to jump in!

I agree.  Liquid definately looks to be the best place to start.  Once
the ruby forge project goes through, anyone interested can join there.
 I will start e-mailing off the list.  Anyone else who wants to join
up, email either Matthew or me.  Then we can get organized on Ruby
Forge.
2dd904ec5981c31e7bb7a5743a53caf8?d=identicon&s=25 Bruce Balmer (brucebalmer)
josh:

I'd be interested in working with you on this. Like everyone else, I
am very busy.  Do you have any idea how long such a project might
take one average coder?  Once I had that number, I'd be able to
assess if I would be an asset or liability to the project.  And, of
course, by when you would want to have it done.  I'm getting a bit
old for till 4am in the morning programming sessions, so I'd like to
do this on a civilized time scale.  And since all that may have
sounded more negative than it really is - I'm interested in principle.

bruce
2ad1c05e8fa25d4ca9dc218fa33d2d14?d=identicon&s=25 Mathieu Arnold (Guest)
+-Le 14/12/2005 17:34 -0800, Jerrett Taylor a dit :
| I haven't delved into the wonderful world of PDF::Writer yet, nor have I
| run across a need.. but I just had an idea I wanted to throw out there
|
| how hard would it be to create a .rpdf template plugin for rails?
|
| could be neat ;]

You mean like what I wrote in :
<http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/HowtoGener...
search for rpdf