Forum: Inkscape Re: CMYK in PDF from Inkscape

44dc6e055ce5b0c4920e9f88be72a61a?d=identicon&s=25 Judah Kleinveldt (Guest)
> Actually SVG does allow for proper CMYK, as does Inkscape. It is just
> that the export path we use (Cairo) does not support CMYK.

Hi Jon Cruz
Its a pity Cairo doesn't support CMYK. I would really like to know how
you can convert the colorspace of an svg file, I have exported a CMYK
file exported from Illustrator but it has not retained its colourspace.
AFAIK editing the xml colour tag in a text editor is the only way to get
the svg file to include CMYK or spot colour info, please could you share
your method of you do this.

> > I agree, but CMYK is not covered in the svg
> > standard. My solution is to import the Inkscape
> > document into Scribus and then export it
> > using pdf X/1-a:2001 as the target format.

Thanks John Culleton,
My current work around is to do just that or in most cases I change the
colourspace of the pdf (including and especially images) using
moonshiner. It doesn't always not retain CMYK colour values for vector
objects, it is an extra step I would like to avoid. I was wondering if
anyone else has been successful in using Ghostscript to convert the
colourspace of a PDF, but integrated into the export dialogue maybe as a
plugin. Its a slight hassle to import an SVG file, update the CMYK info
on each object,export to PDF, send the file to my local printer, do a
proof print with them, change the colour again in Scribus, export to
PDF. I guess I will just have to continue along this way of doing
things, until I have figured out how to what I want myself :)

Please forgive if this email looks odd, I'm still looking for a mailing
list reader to respond to posts on the list.
1725020ed58eea0c8e31f86ba702cb69?d=identicon&s=25 Jon A. Cruz (Guest)
On Sun, May 25, 2014, at 12:01 PM, Judah Kleinveldt wrote:
> Hi Jon Cruz
> Its a pity Cairo doesn't support CMYK. I would really like to know how
> you can convert the colorspace of an svg file, I have exported a CMYK
> file exported from Illustrator but it has not retained its colourspace.
> AFAIK editing the xml colour tag in a text editor is the only way to get
> the svg file to include CMYK or spot colour info, please could you share
> your method of you do this.

For CMYK values, I had a writeup done a while back.
http://codewideopen.blogspot.com/2010/10/inkscape-...

SVG 1.x does not truly support spot colors, but internally a single-stop
gradient has been implemented. I've not checked on the to-print workflow
with those. SVG 2.x was adding better colors, but we'll need to code
more to catch up with that.

Also... the CMYK/Spot color workflow is fairly simplistic and dated. We
need to revamp the workflow to make it easier on designers to setup and
use different target print workflows.

--
  Jon A. Cruz
  jon@joncruz.org