Forum: Ruby on Rails rdocs fail to build on Tiger [/usr/local/lib]

B4a3fe24e9fb82df573ae5b38aa3b872?d=identicon&s=25 Derek Chesterfield (Guest)
If I install Rails on Tiger using the built-in Ruby, [so that the
Gems end up in /usr/lib/ruby] everything installs correctly.

But I have now built ruby 1.8.3 into the /usr/local space, and if I
install Rails into that [so that the Gems end up in /usr/local/lib/
ruby] the actual gems install, but it fails during installation of
the rdocs:

. . .
Successfully installed actionwebservice-1.0.0
Installing RDoc documentation for activesupport-1.2.5...
Installing RDoc documentation for activerecord-1.13.2...
Installing RDoc documentation for actionpack-1.11.2...

RDoc failure in lib/action_controller/routing.rb at or around line
117 column -517614796

Before reporting this, could you check that the file
you're documenting compiles cleanly--RDoc is not a
full Ruby parser, and gets confused easily if fed
invalid programs.

The internal error was:

ERROR:  While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
     unget past beginning of file
Eea7ad39737b0dbf3de38874e0a6c7d8?d=identicon&s=25 Justin Forder (Guest)
Derek Chesterfield wrote:
> Installing RDoc documentation for activesupport-1.2.5...
> invalid programs.
>
> The internal error was:
>
> ERROR:  While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
>     unget past beginning of file

Try this:

$ sudo gem rdoc actionpack

In my case it failed when trying to generate RDoc for activerecord
during installation, but I've had no problems generating the RDoc as a
separate step.

regards

   Justin
B4a3fe24e9fb82df573ae5b38aa3b872?d=identicon&s=25 Derek Chesterfield (Guest)
Thanks for the tip - that does indeed install the rdocs successfully.