Forum: Ruby Ruby Weekly News 5th - 11th December 2005

0c054cee68f9a50d18af7d7f1e526a15?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
http://www.rubyweeklynews.org/20051211.html

Ruby Weekly News 5th - 11th December 2005
   Tim Sutherland.

   [Contribute to the next newsletter.]

Articles and Announcements
==========================

     * Houston ruby and / or rails user group?

       Keith Lancaster has left his job to launch a startup, with Rails
as
       the primary technology, and is "looking for like-minded folks in
       Houston, Texas. Does anyone know if there is a user group (ruby
and/or
       rails) in Houston? If there is not, would anyone be interested in
       participating in one?"

     * RWB: call for feedback|developers
     -----------------------------------

       Pat Eyler issued a call for feedback and developers for the Ruby
Work
       Bench (RWB) project, which provides performance and load tests
for
       websites.

       He doesn't have enough time to add all the features he wants, and
also
       needs feedback from people for even more ideas.

     * XML Transformations using REXML
     ---------------------------------

       James Britt: "Toot toot! That's the sound of my own horn."

       The 30th Anniversary edition of Dr. Dobb's Journal - January 2006
-
       includes an article [Transforming XML & the REXML Pull Parser]
       by (guess who) James Britt.

     * interesting book sales news
     -----------------------------

       Pay Eyler linked to an article on the O'Reilly Radar entitled
       [Ruby Book Sales Surpass Python].

       DHH posted his take on it, noting that at the moment there is
only one
       published book on Rails, and one recent Ruby book.

       "Compare that to the wealth of titles available for Python, Perl,
and
       Java. Now imagine what those numbers will look like when the
market
       is flooded with new titles in the beginning of the new year."

     * Phoenix.rb : Phoenix Ruby Users Group
     ---------------------------------------

       James Britt, the refresher of the Phoenix.rb Users' Group, is
       proposing a meeting for the 19th of December. Contact him if
you're
       interested.

     * CLOSING SHOP! XML:Tools, bindings for libxml and libxslt

       Trans announced that he would no longer be hosting the libxml and
       libxslt bindings, and requested that a new maintainer step
forward.
       Ross Bamford said he'd give it a go.

     * Subversion support on RubyForge
     ---------------------------------

       Tom Copeland: "RubyForge now supports Subversion! Yup, at long
last,
       we've got all the pieces in place so that you can use either CVS
or
       Subversion for your version control."

       And yes, existing projects using CVS can be converted over.

       Replies included !, !! and even in one case !!! exclamation
marks. I
       think that means people are happy.

     * Ruby Code & Style is looking for articles.

       James Britt said that the online journal Ruby Code & Style is
looking
       for articles for its second edition.

       | We focus on bringing high-quality articles, written by Rubyists
all
       | over the world, showcasing the strengths of Ruby and the
ingenuity
       | of its users in solving real-life, non-trivial problems.
       |
       | We're looking for technical Ruby articles primarily geared
toward
       | experienced Ruby developers. Submissions are peer reviewed by
our
       | remarkable advisory board, which includes eminent members of
the
       | Ruby community [he's not kidding - Ed].

     * Ruby: A New Danger
     --------------------

       Hampton posted a 200MB video he created showing that Ruby is
dangerous
       (for Fortran programmers). Recommended, oh yeah.

       Don't let Lispers or Smalltalkers watch it though.

Threads
=======

  One-Click Ruby Installer
  ------------------------

   The one in which Curt Hibbs says the One-Click Ruby Installer won't
be
   updated to Ruby 1.8.3, but will sync with 1.8.4 when it is released
at the
   end of December.

  Kalah (#58)
  -----------

   Mark Van Holstyn created this week's Ruby Quiz - to create a player
for
   the board-game "Kalah".

  :-) Sharing a Shower Moment :-)
  -------------------------------

   Surprisingly, not spam. Duck wisdom, the best of which was Ezra
   Zygmuntowicz's "If a duck quacks in the woods... Does
anyone.respond_to?
   his calls?"

  IL Generator syntax proposal
  ----------------------------

   John Lam is rewriting his Ruby <=> CLR (.NET) bridge, with the plan
   write as much of the code as possible in Ruby, rather than in Managed
C++.
   To this end, he had prototyped some syntax for an IL (Intermediate
   Language) generation library.

   He went on to implement the proposal, see [RbDynamicMethod first
drop].

   An example for converting CLR exceptions into Ruby ones:

 create_ruby_method('convert_clr_exception') do
   try
     ldstr    'error'
     newobj   'Exception.ctor(String)'
     throw_ex
   catch_ex   'Exception'
     call     'static ExceptionHelper.RaiseRubyException(Exception)'
   end_try
   ldc_i4_4
   ret
 end

  Detecting control-c?
  --------------------

   William E. Rubin asked how to detect when a user presses ctrl-c (i.e.
   sends the INTerrupt signal), and Joe Van Dyk said that this will do
it:

 trap("INT") do
   puts "got signal INT"
 end

  Equation graphing software?
  ---------------------------

   Steve Litt pondered creating graphs of equations like y=x**2+5 from
Ruby.

   Eric Lavigne suggested gnuplot, by having Ruby output gnuplot
commands,
   and G.Durga Prasad noted the rgplot Ruby library for tighter
integration.

   For non-Ruby solutions, Dan Diebolt pointed out GNU Octave (a free
   software clone of Matlab), which uses GNU Graph for graphics. You can
also
   use Graph separately. (Kevin Brown is currently writing a Ruby
binding for
   it.)

  rflickr
  -------

   Nate Agrin asked if anyone else was using the "rflickr" library to
access
   the Flickr API, as he was having some problems with
flickr.auth.getToken.

   "it would also be nice to get anyone who is working on rflickr to
form
   some sort of breakout group, so we could pass information around a
bit
   faster."

   There were no replies after 6 days.

  Oniguruma -- when?
  ------------------

   Hal Fulton enquired as to when the new regular expression engine
Oniguruma
   would be merged into Ruby. It provides features beyond the current
engine,
   such as look-behind, named and non-captured groups and support for
many
   character encodings.

   Phil Tomson said you can configure Ruby 1.8.3 at compile time to use
it,
   while James Edward Gray II said that the word was that it wouldn't be
   default until Ruby 2.0, for fear of breaking compatibility.

  Calling ASP C# web service from Ruby?

   mmm was getting encoding errors when trying to call a SOAP web
service
   running under ASP.NET, from Ruby.

   Tsume said that

 soap_client.default_encodingstyle =
   SOAP::EncodingStyle::ASPDotNetHandler::Namespace

   would fix the issue, caused by non-standardness in Microsoft's SOAP
   implementation.

   The problem was also behind the thread Ruby SOAP client communication
with
   Microsoft .NET webservice.

  Semi-OT: Red Crystal - Ruby is taking off everywhere

  Patrick Hurley remarked that the International Red Cross and Red
Crescent
  Movement have adopted the "Red Crystal" as a new emblem. Ruby really
is
  everywhere now!

New Releases
============

  lazy.rb 0.2
  -----------

   MenTaLguY released a new version of his lazy evaluation library
lazy.rb.

   Object#inspect no longer forces the evaluation of a promise,
Kernel#force
   was renamed Kernel#demand, and a new API for lazy streams was added.

  FireRuby 0.4.1
  --------------

   Fixes to FireRuby to support 64-bit platforms were added by Peter
Wood,
   with help from David Walthour.

   FireRuby is a library for accessing the Firebird open-source
relational
   database system.

  Rails RC5 (0.14.4): Next stop one-oh (really, this time!)

   David Heinemeier Hansson said that Rails RC 5 is out, and this one
really
   is the last before the 1.0 release.

   "We've fixed a ton of major, minor, and aesthetic issues and now have
   package that we would be very proud to call 1.0."

 |!| So upgrade, dammit! Now. And stand by as we finish setting up the
 |!| fireworks planned for next week's release of the long-awaited 1.0.
It's
 |!| magical times, my friends, and the spellcasting is just getting
started.
45196398e9685000d195ec626d477f0e?d=identicon&s=25 Trans (Guest)
> CLOSING SHOP! XML:Tools, bindings for libxml and libxslt
> Ross Bamford said he'd give it a go.

UPDATE. Sean Crittenden, the original author of the bindings,
appearently frequents these parts quietly. He's come back out and will
remain project head of the libxml/libxsl projects on Rubyforge, but Bob
Showalter will take on active management and Ross Bamford will be
active senior developer. Also, the license looks like it will change to
MIT too (yeah!)

So after long last, Ruby will finally have fresh and well maintained
binding to libxml2!!!

T.
Trans wrote:
>>CLOSING SHOP! XML:Tools, bindings for libxml and libxslt
>>Ross Bamford said he'd give it a go.
>

> UPDATE. Sean Crittenden, the original author of the bindings,
> appearently frequents these parts quietly. He's come back out and will
> remain project head of the libxml/libxsl projects on Rubyforge, but Bob
> Showalter will take on active management and Ross Bamford will be
> active senior developer. Also, the license looks like it will change to
> MIT too (yeah!)

Minor correction: Sean's last name is Chittenden

http://sean.chittenden.org/

James

45196398e9685000d195ec626d477f0e?d=identicon&s=25 Trans (Guest)
> Minor correction: Sean's last name is Chittenden

Ah, that would be a typo. Thanks for correcting James.

T.