Forum: Ruby Mastering ruby or rails?

F7d71c363982cf5a565da29859faf425?d=identicon&s=25 tony (Guest)
Let's say that a person is a very good ruby programmer but so far hasn't
shown any interest for the web. And let's say that now he wants to start
programming with rails. How much of ruby "is in" programming with
"rails" and how much is overhead? What I mean is... if one's intention
is to develop in rails, does he really need to study deeply ruby, or
would be better to get a general overview of ruby and spend all the time
learning ruby on rails? I know I am confused :-)
A70b7da5a3a712e800100e61ef8d8917?d=identicon&s=25 ako... (Guest)
why a good ruby programmer needs to spend time on ruby at all before
starting on rails? ;-)
On 11/28/05, ako... <akonsu@gmail.com> wrote:
> why a good ruby programmer needs to spend time on ruby at all before
> starting on rails? ;-)

Yes, I don't know why a very good ruby programmer needs to get a
general overview of ruby.

If you understand Ruby basics, picking up Rails shouldn't be too
difficult.  An understanding of basic web technologies (http, html,
css, etc) would help though.
ako... wrote:
> why a good ruby programmer needs to spend time on ruby at all before
> starting on rails? ;-)

To make informed decisions.

James
00e3a96684ab390a350b0271e98741d3?d=identicon&s=25 Nshbrown Nshbrown (nshb)
When I started working with Rails I found myself at a lack experience
when
it came time to creating more advanced features. Rails provides great
functionality within its sandbox, but when you want to do thing like
create
your own module, or extend the functionality of ActiveRecord to do
something
custom, you need to leverage Ruby.

Writing Rails is writing Ruby, even though there may be a separate
documentation system, you still need to learn Ruby to do simple things
like
manage the Time object, or create a File stream to write to.

For me, its not a choice whether to learn Ruby or learn Rails, you have
learn both regardless :)

Warmest regards,
Nathan.

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 10:17:28AM +0900, tony wrote:
> Let's say that a person is a very good ruby programmer but so far hasn't
> shown any interest for the web. And let's say that now he wants to start
> programming with rails. How much of ruby "is in" programming with
> "rails" and how much is overhead? What I mean is... if one's intention
> is to develop in rails, does he really need to study deeply ruby, or
> would be better to get a general overview of ruby and spend all the time
> learning ruby on rails? I know I am confused :-)

Just start, and whenever you don't understand something, go learn
about it.  This is the optimal way to learn exactly what you need to
know.  Trying "learn rails" first is crazy.  Just start building
something.

regards,
Ed