Forum: Ruby on Rails Quick ! Reasons to use Rails !!!

Ff82af3238a57fbd1212832ec1a19f28?d=identicon&s=25 dylans (Guest)
Can someone point me to a good article on why one should use RoR ?
A fact sheet would be great.

I have a slew of articles collected, like:
"CDBaby migration to rails"
"David Geary's Blog"
"Bruce Tate's take"
... etc...

... but would love to know if there was something that covered it all,
in a
concise manner.

There should be a master document so we could use to explain it's case
well
for adoption on future projects.
Thanks,
Dylan
A44d5abad6e86cff4e34d9f0839535c9?d=identicon&s=25 rick (Guest)
* Dylan Stamat (dylans@gmail.com) [051211 00:45]:
> ... but would love to know if there was something that covered it all, in a
> concise manner.
>
> There should be a master document so we could use to explain it's case well for
> adoption on future projects.

We wrote one for ourselves, maybe you can adapt it for yourself:

  http://rewrite.rickbradley.com/pages/moving_to_rails/

If you do, would you be so kind as to post it online and let us all know
where it lives?

Rick
--
 http://www.rickbradley.com    MUPRN: 677
                       |  to get together
   random email haiku  |  and exchange rumors, ideas,
                       |  assistance, etc.
Ff82af3238a57fbd1212832ec1a19f28?d=identicon&s=25 dylans (Guest)
Ahh... I already had this one at the top of my list.  Thanks Rick :)

I am going to put together a list of hard-hitting case studies / facts
about
RoR soon.
The CDBaby and AListApart migration stories, your story, O'Reilly book
sales... are all huge points in my opinion, and they really stand out.

Thanks much Rick !  I'm hopefully starting an "enterprise" scale RoR
project
soon, and trying to convince the CEO it would be a good decision.  There
are
a lot of Java advocates barking up the same tree, and I'm trying to sway
the
Java/Struts/Hibernate approach !  I've been coding in that enviroment
for
the last year, and it's been hard now that I've used RoR :)
69b2ef4bce76b5b27c94e898976dc6d8?d=identicon&s=25 winescout (Guest)
Here is a list that works for me -

Time is money.

matt
Ce60c4f78a63b0695e4dafc4bd7964f7?d=identicon&s=25 vanek (Guest)
What is rarely mentioned, and just as important to consider, is what
Rails doesn't provide:
continuations and page state (saving and restoring the state of all
controls/widgets/fields).
Rails has made certain trade offs, and, to be fair, a lot of other
frameworks have made
the same choices.
Ff9e18f0699bf079f1fc91c8d4506438?d=identicon&s=25 James Britt (Guest)
Dylan Stamat wrote:
> Can someone point me to a good article on why one should use RoR ?

http://ruby-doc.org/whyruby/

Ff82af3238a57fbd1212832ec1a19f28?d=identicon&s=25 Dylan Stamat (Guest)
Awesome... thanks guys :)