Forum: GNU Radio Ice-related Build Problem

62e152f885746ecd6f9d2e470722bed1?d=identicon&s=25 Dan CaJacob (Guest)
Building GR with the latest pybombs completes successfully, but when
calling a GR binary, there's an error about ICE (which built without
problems):

$:~/pybombs/src/gnuradio/build$ gnuradio-config-info -v
gnuradio-config-info: error while loading shared libraries:
libIce.so.35:

This is on Ubuntu 12.04 x64

Very Respectfully,

Dan CaJacob
62e152f885746ecd6f9d2e470722bed1?d=identicon&s=25 Dan CaJacob (Guest)
Running find to search for the missing library does find it at:

/usr/lib64/libIce.so.35

Very Respectfully,

Dan CaJacob
503e7c2961c7debe24eda2c31330759b?d=identicon&s=25 Mike Jameson (Guest)
These 'cannot open shared object file' errors are usually solved for me
by
running 'sudo ldconfig'.

Pybombs should not be run as root as everything gets installed to the
target directory.

You need to run './pybombs env' and append the line about 'source
.......'
to your home directory's '.bashrc' file.

Mike

--
Mike Jameson M0MIK BSc MIET
Ettus Research Technical Support

> Running find to search for the missing library does find it at:
>
> /usr/lib64/libIce.so.35
>
> Very Respectfully,
>
> Dan CaJacob

Wait, why do you have a lib64 on an Ubuntu machine? But, we do check in
lib64, so that shouldn't be the problem. However, package management is
not
one of ZeroC's strong suits, as Philip and I can attest to with the OE
recipe work... And finding the libraries is a pain as well.

Do you have /usr/include/Ice*? And specifically,
/usr/include/IceUtil/Config.h. We use that to test if the Ice dev files
are
there, and if so, extract the version number from it.

Things seem to be completely different for Ice 3.4 and Ice 3.5 and on
different versions of Ubuntu as well as other distros. It's kind of a
mess.
Can you get the CMake output for me? For the latest Ice 3.5 cmake
script,
there's a lot more output info to see what's happening.

Tom
62e152f885746ecd6f9d2e470722bed1?d=identicon&s=25 Dan CaJacob (Guest)
Thanks, Tom!  See my comments in context below:

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 9:05 AM, Tom Rondeau <tom@trondeau.com> wrote:

> Wait, why do you have a lib64 on an Ubuntu machine? But, we do check in
> lib64, so that shouldn't be the problem.

I don't know, but I do have ia32-libs installed on all of my nodes.  It
had
been necessary in the past for one of our binaries, but may no longer be
so.

>  However, package management is not one of ZeroC's strong suits, as Philip
> and I can attest to with the OE recipe work... And finding the libraries is
> a pain as well.
>
> Do you have /usr/include/Ice*? And specifically,
> /usr/include/IceUtil/Config.h. We use that to test if the Ice dev files are
> there, and if so, extract the version number from it.

I do have those directories and the specific file you mentioned.

> Things seem to be completely different for Ice 3.4 and Ice 3.5 and on
> different versions of Ubuntu as well as other distros. It's kind of a mess.
> Can you get the CMake output for me? For the latest Ice 3.5 cmake script,
> there's a lot more output info to see what's happening.

Sure.  I assume you mean for gnuradio and no Ice.

http://pastebin.com/3z26M3xN
62e152f885746ecd6f9d2e470722bed1?d=identicon&s=25 Dan CaJacob (Guest)
Tom,

Interestingly, when I was retesting the cmake output for you, I built it
manually after that and it worked this time - no ice complaints.  So,
the
problem seems likely to be somehow brought out when pybombs does the
build
(maybe passing options that I did not when compiling manually).

The original problem was on multiple machines and across multiple tries
build with pybombs, so this final success was definitely the result of
something done differently.

Very Respectfully,

Dan CaJacob
Existing account