From: Matt Scilipoti <MattS  {AT}  possiamo.com>
Date: Dec 9, 2005 4:21 PM
Subject: [XpWdc] Overview for Ruby On Rails -  Tuesday, December 13th

Here is an overview of the next presentation at XpWdc
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/XpWdc/>  on Tuesday (12/13/05).

Introduction to Ruby <http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?HomePage>  and
RubyOnRails <http://www.rubyonrails.com/>

1.      How Ruby <http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?HomePage>  and
RubyOnRails
<http://www.rubyonrails.com/>  (RoR or Rails) support the Agile
Manifesto.

1.      RoR is the best Web Application Framework I have worked with.
2.      RoR is the only physical manifestation of Agile that I have
seen.
3.      It is easy to quickly create a working, tested application and
continuously enhance it.

2.      Individuals and interactions over processes and tools

1.      Ruby <http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?HomePage>  is defined
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_programming_language>  as a
reflective
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflection_%28compute... ,
object-oriented <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-oriented>
programming
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_language>  language.
2.      Ruby is said to follow the principle
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_least_surprise>  of least
surprise (POLS), meaning that the language typically behaves intuitively
or
as the programmer assumes it should.
3.      RubyOnRails <http://www.rubyonrails.com/>  is: a full-stack,
open-source web framework in Ruby
<http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?HomePage>
for writing real-world applications with joy and less code than most
frameworks spend doing XML sit-ups.  It was extracted from an existing
application, BaseCamp <http://www.basecamphq.com/> .
4.      Review RubyConf2005: People, Quality, Community, in pursuit of a
good API.

3.      Working software over comprehensive documentation

1.      Demonstrate 'Simplicity': Demo
2.      Explore built in Testing.   Yes, it's built in. and supported
like
you've never seen before.

4.      Responding to change over following a plan

1.      Database Migration.  You have to see this!  Sweet.
2.      Demonstrate 'Enhanceability': Time permitting; we will enhance
an
existing app.

5.      Customer collaboration over contract negotiation

1.      Demo SysTIR <http://atomicobject.com/systir.page>
(SystemTestingInRuby) allows you to write system-level tests in "domain
language", that is, language that pertains to your target software and
its
own particular constructs.
2.      Ruby
<http://www.cornetdesign.com/2005/12/fitnesse-and-r...
and FitNesse

6.      Bonus!

1.      Demo InstantRails
<http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/InstantRails> : No installer,
you
simply drop it into the directory of your choice and run it.  A one-stop
Rails runtime solution containing Ruby, Rails, Apache, and MySQL, all
preconfigured and ready to run.
2.      Discuss SwitchTower
<http://weblog.rubyonrails.com/articles/2005/10/19/...
istributed-deployment-for-rails> : Deploy distributed applications with
single command.

7.      Want more?
Got 15 minutes? Give Ruby a shot right <http://tryruby.hobix.com/>  now!
Interact with Ruby. Online!
Top
<http://www.digitalmediaminute.com/article/1816/top...
12 Ruby on Rails Tutorials
Evaluation: <http://rewrite.rickbradley.com/pages/moving_to_rails/>
moving
from Java to Ruby on Rails for the CenterNet? rewrite
Secrets
<http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/l...
a=dgr-lnxw07RubyBetter>  of lightweight development success, Part 7:
Java
alternatives
The Philosphy of Ruby <http://www.artima.com/intv/rubyP.html>

Brought to you by Matt Scilipoti and Jeff Waltzer.  Proud supporters of
XpWdc <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/XpWdc/> .

See you at the DC Southeast Neighborhood Library
<http://www.dclibrary.org/branches/soe/> .

Parking: There is no off-street parking at this library location.
By Bus: To reach the Southeast Neighborhood Library take the 32, 34, 36,
50,
50 to Pennsylvania Avenue, S.E. and 7th Street, S.E. or the 90, 92 and
Pennsylvania Avenue, S.E. and 8th Street, S.E.
Nearest Metro Stop: The Southeast Neighborhood Library lies steps away
from
the Eastern Market station on the Blue/Orange Lines.