Forum: Ruby UDP bind to port in windows 8

E9ea32f2666ea4da53e7e53a0de951af?d=identicon&s=25 Matthew Smith (fizgig)
on 2014-05-06 22:33
(using Ruby 1.8.7)

Sometimes I have trouble with Ruby binding to a port on my windows 8
machine.  The two lines of code in my program relevant here are:

my_socket = UDPSocket.new
my_socket.bind("192.168.75.1",64001)

After a fresh boot, my program will always work.  If my computer has
been on a couple of days, it might sometimes fail with a "permission
denied" at the bind statement line #.  I even try running the ruby
program from a prompt with administrative privileges but same error.

I've been googling this like crazy and one common thought is to check if
some program has already claimed that port.  There's a netstat command
that will show you all ports in use and nothing close to 64001 is ever
listed.

I used to run this program on windows 7 and never had an issue.
Something about Windows 8 is throwing a fault.  Any help appreciated.

Thanks!
B078cb4f4fb473c7a54d1fc36d10c70e?d=identicon&s=25 Regis d'Aubarede (raubarede)
on 2014-05-07 00:15
Hello,

A)You should try with
    ruby 2.1
    netcat/python/perl/tclsh/vb...

B) Firewall used to do think like that :  bloc port without in ip/tcp
layer.
   verify your events logs

C) did you schedule some task every night?

D) is this port the only one blocked ?
E9ea32f2666ea4da53e7e53a0de951af?d=identicon&s=25 Matthew Smith (fizgig)
on 2014-05-07 00:36
Regis d'Aubarede wrote in post #1145188:
> Hello,
>
> A)You should try with
>     ruby 2.1
>     python/perl/tclsh/vb...
>
> B) Firewall used to do think like that :  bloc port without in ip/tcp
> layer.
>    verify your events logs
>
> C) did you schedule some task every night?
>
> D) is this port the only one blocked ?

Crap.  All good questions/suggestions...  Let me address them:

A) This is for some Ruby stuff I wrote a long time ago.  Sure would be
nice not to have to update it.  Especially for a simple bind issue.

B) Software (Windows) firewall is turned completely off.

C) No scheduling here.

D) When I am getting the error, it is only with port 64001.  If I change
the code to 64002 the bind is successful.
Existing account

No account? Register here.