Forum: Ruby on Rails RC5 Mysql Troubles

D244b90a6f2540ca14772f79b694f0ec?d=identicon&s=25 jeff.gray (Guest)
I just upgraded to RC 5 using gem.

Now my 2 apps both fail with mysql saying

"Access denied for user: '@servername_removed (Using password: NO)"

I have changed nothing in any of the files.  It is a result of the
upgrade.

Any ideas?
4cacb94a089bfbf0541db7b9c8081f74?d=identicon&s=25 kevin (Guest)
I noticed the same problem - although I haven't had time to resolve it.

My database connection parameters I'm certain are correct.

-k

Quoting "Gray, Jeffrey" <jeff.gray@twcable.com>:

Kevin Bedell
http://www.kbedell.com

 - Albert Einstein
537b49d3307497073658cd957cec5d13?d=identicon&s=25 cvigny (Guest)
Hi I have encounter the same probleme !!
it happen using the rails pure ruby driver !

"Access denied for user: '@myserver.com (Using password: NO)"
have u report the bug ?

Gray, Jeffrey wrote:

"Ce message et toutes les pièces jointes sont des informations
strictement confidentielles et réservées au(x) destinataire(s). Ce
courriel n'a pas de valeur contractuelle et son contenu ne constitue ni
une acceptation, ni un engagement de la part de l'auteur et des sociétés
du groupe Serveur et Artprice, sauf dans le cas où cela aurait été prévu
avec le destinataire par un accord écrit. Le contenu de ce message et
les pièces jointes ne peuvent constituer une preuve au sens de l'article
1316-1 du Code Civil. L.auteur et les sociétés du groupe Serveur et
Artprice déclinent toute responsabilité au titre de ce courriel s'il a
été altéré, déformé, falsifié ou indûment utilisé par des tiers ou
encore s'il a causé tout dommage ou perte de toute nature. Si vous
n'êtes pas le bon destinataire, merci de nous contacter et de ne pas le
divulguer."

"This message including any attachments are confidential and privileged
material intended solely for the addressees. Its contents do not
constitute a commitment by groupe Serveur sas and Artprice SA, except
when provided for in a written agreement with the addressees. The
contents of this message cannot constitute neither the proof nor the
acceptance of any agreement as per article 1316-1 of the French civil
code.
Groupe Serveur sas and Artprice SA shall not be rendered liable in any
manner whatsoever for the delay and/or loss in transit of this message,
for corruption, alteration, falsification, misuse or fraudulent use
(which may be made) of this message. If you receive this message in
error, please delete it and immediately notify the sender. If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any unauthorized use, copying or dissemination is prohibited."
3aaa40ee161275eb192b2895ca7c866b?d=identicon&s=25 walkerbl (Guest)
I'm not sure, but I think this may indicate that you are running on
MySQL < 4.1.  I had similar problems a while ago because of this.  It
usually means that your using the wrong style authentication method
(it changed between versions).

But I don't understand what changed in RC5 cause this.

Try 'mysql -V' and see what version your running on.

Cheers,
Brett
Quoting Christophe Vigny <cvigny@artprice.com>:

> Hi I have encounter the same probleme !!
> it happen using the rails pure ruby driver !
>
> "Access denied for user: '@myserver.com (Using password: NO)"
> have u report the bug ?

I've not reported it as I only had a few minutes early this morning to
work on
my app. This is identically the issue I had after upgrading using "gem
update".

It's as if it can't locate the database config.
Quoting Brett Walker <walkerbl@mail.com>:

> I'm not sure, but I think this may indicate that you are running on
> MySQL < 4.1.  I had similar problems a while ago because of this.  It
> usually means that your using the wrong style authentication method
> (it changed between versions).

I'm using mysql 5.0.

To be fair, I should state that as part of this upgrade I also switched
from
postgres to mysql - so in reality this is the first time I've used rails
against mysql for this rails install.

I'll go back and try it again against postgres to see if the upgrade
broke that.
I won't be able to check until later this afternoon or this evening. I'm
leaving
work now and up here in New Hampshire in america we're having a small
blizzard!

-k
Ce60c4f78a63b0695e4dafc4bd7964f7?d=identicon&s=25 vanek (Guest)
The error message is saying that you are trying to log on with both a
blank user name and password. Is this true? What happens when you try
to logon with a non-blank user name and password?

AR 1.13.1 now allows for the new MySQL authentication scheme in MySQL
versions 4.1+. This is likely causing the problem.

What version of MySQL are you using?

Are you running with new-style or old style passwords? The old-style
passwords are only about 14 characters long when seen in
mysql.`user`.password field, and the new-style are about 3 times longer
than that.

If you are using the old-style passwords, create a new user with the
new-style passwords and try to logon with that user. It should work.
Ad91bce9c9a8c68b6942607e4721f74e?d=identicon&s=25 bpaland (Guest)
2005/12/9, Lou Vanek <vanek@acd.net>:
> The error message is saying that you are trying to log on with both a
> blank user name and password. Is this true? What happens when you try
> to logon with a non-blank user name and password?

I only hat a blank password. But I created a new user in mysql with no
blank password, wrote this user ind database.yml, but same error.

I have MySQL 4.0.25, my mysql.`user`.password field is 16 chars long.
I tried to get an longer password, but it is allways 16chars long.

Beate
Ce60c4f78a63b0695e4dafc4bd7964f7?d=identicon&s=25 vanek (Guest)
That means you are using old-style passwords but ActiveRecord is trying
log you on with new-style passwords because it mistakening detected
MySQL
4.1 authentication.
Need to look around some more...
7253cc422dee2fe613be02dff7149136?d=identicon&s=25 rubydoc (Guest)
On 12/9/05, Lou Vanek <vanek@acd.net> wrote:

> The error message is saying that you are trying to log on with both a
> blank user name and password. Is this true? What happens when you try
> to logon with a non-blank user name and password?
>
> AR 1.13.1 now allows for the new MySQL authentication scheme in MySQL
> versions 4.1+. This is likely causing the problem.
>
> What version of MySQL are you using?

I have the same problem, running MySQL 3.23.58.  Connections worked fine
with 0.14.3, now borked with 0.14.4

I don't think "new style"passwords are an option with MySQL 3.23.58

James
Ce60c4f78a63b0695e4dafc4bd7964f7?d=identicon&s=25 vanek (Guest)
it's not pretty, but you can revert back to rails 14.3, even if you have
to download
each gem off the website manually. If I were you, I think that's what
I'd do until
they sort this ActiveRecord mess out.

<526 Lou_Vanek bash buffy730:/cygdrive/e/tmp>gem install
rails-0.14.3.gem  -l
Attempting local installation of 'rails-0.14.3.gem'
ERROR:  Error installing gem rails-0.14.3.gem[.gem]: rails requires
actionpack = 1.11.0
<527 Lou_Vanek bash buffy730:/cygdrive/e/tmp>gem install
actionpack-1.11.0.gem  -l
Attempting local installation of 'actionpack-1.11.0.gem'
Successfully installed actionpack, version 1.11.0
Installing RDoc documentation for actionpack-1.11.0...
<528 Lou_Vanek bash buffy730:/cygdrive/e/tmp>gem install
rails-0.14.3.gem  -l
Attempting local installation of 'rails-0.14.3.gem'
ERROR:  Error installing gem rails-0.14.3.gem[.gem]: rails requires
actionmailer = 1.1.3
<529 Lou_Vanek bash buffy730:/cygdrive/e/tmp>gem install
actionmailer-1.1.3.gem  -l
Attempting local installation of 'actionmailer-1.1.3.gem'
Successfully installed actionmailer, version 1.1.3
Installing RDoc documentation for actionmailer-1.1.3...
<530 Lou_Vanek bash buffy730:/cygdrive/e/tmp>gem install
rails-0.14.3.gem  -l
Attempting local installation of 'rails-0.14.3.gem'
ERROR:  Error installing gem rails-0.14.3.gem[.gem]: rails requires
actionwebservice = 0.9.3
<531 Lou_Vanek bash buffy730:/cygdrive/e/tmp>gem install
actionwebservice-0.9.3.gem  -l
Attempting local installation of 'actionwebservice-0.9.3.gem'
Successfully installed actionwebservice, version 0.9.3
Installing RDoc documentation for actionwebservice-0.9.3...
<532 Lou_Vanek bash buffy730:/cygdrive/e/tmp>gem install
rails-0.14.3.gem  -l
Attempting local installation of 'rails-0.14.3.gem'
Successfully installed rails, version 0.14.3
3aaa40ee161275eb192b2895ca7c866b?d=identicon&s=25 walkerbl (Guest)
I decided to do just that - revert production back to 14.3 until a
deployment test passes mustard.

One easy way to do this is

rake VERSION=0.14.3 freeze_gems

This pulled the 0.14.3 gems into vendor/rails (assuming the old gems
are still installed, which they probably are).  And it seems to be
working fine (freeze_gems it was broken for me in earlier releases).

Cheers,
Brett
38a8230ed3d5c685558b4f0aad3fc74b?d=identicon&s=25 joevandyk (Guest)
On 12/9/05, Brett Walker <walkerbl@mail.com> wrote:
> I decided to do just that - revert production back to 14.3 until a
> deployment test passes mustard.
>
> One easy way to do this is
>
> rake VERSION=0.14.3 freeze_gems
>
> This pulled the 0.14.3 gems into vendor/rails (assuming the old gems
> are still installed, which they probably are).  And it seems to be
> working fine (freeze_gems it was broken for me in earlier releases).

If you use subversion, using the 'externals' feature is quite handy.

To update to 0.14.3 to 0.14.4, I type 'svn propedit svn:externals
vendor' and modify the the http:// path.  And then type 'svn update'
and that brings down the new update.  When I've tested it and it
works, then I save the upgrade via 'svn commit'.

Works great!
Ad91bce9c9a8c68b6942607e4721f74e?d=identicon&s=25 bpaland (Guest)
Lou,

thank you, thank you! Downgrading worked fine :)

And the bug has been already posted now. Lets wait for a solution.

regards,
Beate
4b4dfab0e4b63d8e9dcbd04340b4a4c9?d=identicon&s=25 Abou Ihsaan (abouihsaan)
on 2005-12-10 01:51
bpaland wrote:
> Lou,
>
> thank you, thank you! Downgrading worked fine :)
>
> And the bug has been already posted now. Lets wait for a solution.
>
> regards,
> Beate

Had the same problem, upgrading from 4.0 to 4.1 solved the problem...
43b250d41a583ea8a93dc198b06862b3?d=identicon&s=25 gruner.rails (Guest)
> Had the same problem, upgrading from 4.0 to 4.1 solved the problem...

I just upgraded to mySQL 4.1.15 and I'm still getting the "Access
denied for user..." message.