Forum: NGINX 1.7.01 mainline on debian has installed a wrong package

2974d09ac2541e892966b762aad84943?d=identicon&s=25 ura (Guest)
on 2014-04-27 23:37
(Received via mailing list)
after running the upgrade to 1.7.01 mainline version on debian, the
nginx
version check (service nginx -V) lists:
0.91-ubuntu1 - even though 1.7.01 is listed in the package manager in
debian.

does this mean that debains repos are serving an incorrect package?

Posted at Nginx Forum:
http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,249670,249670#msg-249670
34011bc56457235a2caa5ed1d4a29f3c?d=identicon&s=25 Jonathan Matthews (Guest)
on 2014-04-27 23:56
(Received via mailing list)
On 27 April 2014 22:37, ura <nginx-forum@nginx.us> wrote:
> after running the upgrade to 1.7.01 mainline version on debian, the nginx
> version check (service nginx -V) lists:
> 0.91-ubuntu1 - even though 1.7.01 is listed in the package manager in
> debian.
>
> does this mean that debains repos are serving an incorrect package?

You will have more than one repo enabled which is capable of providing
the "nginx" package, I suspect.

Try "apt-cache policy nginx" (or nginx-full, depending on what you
think you have installed) to see the versions your system knows about,
and where it thinks they come from. Then work out how to get the
correct version: disable a repo, or install a different package name,
or apt-pin a version, or something else; you'll have to have a good
poke at it.

J
2974d09ac2541e892966b762aad84943?d=identicon&s=25 ura (Guest)
on 2014-04-28 00:00
(Received via mailing list)
thanks for assisting. i ran that command and see 3 repos which provide
nginx. from what i see there, the 1.7.0-1 wheezy package is the
candidate
and also has been installed.

i just checked my local development machine which is running lmde - the
version of nginx is also the same spurious ubuntu 0.91 version.. yet the
2
machine are using different repos.

i am not seeing 0.91 listed anywhere other than when i run service nginx
-V

Posted at Nginx Forum:
http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,249670,249672#msg-249672
34011bc56457235a2caa5ed1d4a29f3c?d=identicon&s=25 Jonathan Matthews (Guest)
on 2014-04-28 00:11
(Received via mailing list)
On 27 April 2014 23:00, ura <nginx-forum@nginx.us> wrote:
> thanks for assisting. i ran that command and see 3 repos which provide
> nginx. from what i see there, the 1.7.0-1 wheezy package is the candidate
> and also has been installed.
>
> i just checked my local development machine which is running lmde - the
> version of nginx is also the same spurious ubuntu 0.91 version.. yet the 2
> machine are using different repos.
>
> i am not seeing 0.91 listed anywhere other than when i run service nginx -V

"which nginx" will show you the specific binary you're running when
you execute nginx-V. It may well be a different one from that which
your initscript invokes.

"dpkg -L nginx" (or whichever package you have installed) will show
you which files on disk are from that package.

I suspect you'll discover your actual problem by examining the the
output of these two commands.

J
2974d09ac2541e892966b762aad84943?d=identicon&s=25 ura (Guest)
on 2014-04-28 00:15
(Received via mailing list)
those two commands don't show any version numbers, so i am not presently
any
closer to identifying the issue here.
the paths returned look fine to me, from what i know already.

Posted at Nginx Forum:
http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,249670,249674#msg-249674
34011bc56457235a2caa5ed1d4a29f3c?d=identicon&s=25 Jonathan Matthews (Guest)
on 2014-04-28 00:24
(Received via mailing list)
On 27 April 2014 23:14, ura <nginx-forum@nginx.us> wrote:
> those two commands don't show any version numbers

No, they don't - they show paths.

> so i am not presently any
> closer to identifying the issue here.
> the paths returned look fine to me, from what i know already.

Ok. Good luck finding the problem. Check your init script.

J
40b4c848b8fcd63b0cb60b9d170c3a77?d=identicon&s=25 Valentin V. Bartenev (Guest)
on 2014-04-28 00:24
(Received via mailing list)
On Sunday 27 April 2014 17:37:26 ura wrote:
> after running the upgrade to 1.7.01 mainline version on debian, the nginx
> version check (service nginx -V) lists:
> 0.91-ubuntu1 - even though 1.7.01 is listed in the package manager in
> debian.
>
> does this mean that debains repos are serving an incorrect package?
>

By running "service nginx -V" you're checking the version of "service".

  wbr, Valentin V. Bartenev
2974d09ac2541e892966b762aad84943?d=identicon&s=25 ura (Guest)
on 2014-04-28 00:30
(Received via mailing list)
aha! yes, i needed to remove 'service'.
now i see the correct 1.7 version code. thanks!

Posted at Nginx Forum:
http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,249670,249677#msg-249677
Please log in before posting. Registration is free and takes only a minute.
Existing account

NEW: Do you have a Google/GoogleMail, Yahoo or Facebook account? No registration required!
Log in with Google account | Log in with Yahoo account | Log in with Facebook account
No account? Register here.