Forum: Ruby on Rails Can't install Ruby on Rails

Ea00549ce3570fb3d0e60cb30427d6fa?d=identicon&s=25 Michael (Guest)
on 2014-04-19 10:33
(Received via mailing list)
I've been trying to install ruby on rails for the past 4 days. No
tutorial
has helped. I even decided to switch from Windows to Ubuntu (both 12 and
14) to see if that would help.
Still can't get it installed.

I am going to try to switch to Mac, but I have a bad feeling about it
too.
It is pretty demoralizing when you try to do this for 4 days straight. I
have had very little sleep because
I really wanted to get started.

I asked for help on Reddit. I got several responses but those didn't
work
either. I searched for help on youtube. That didn't help at all.

I just signed up for a Rails forum. I am starting to think that it might
not be possible to install anymore in 2014. Is Ruby on Rails still a
thing??
81b61875e41eaa58887543635d556fca?d=identicon&s=25 Frederick Cheung (Guest)
on 2014-04-19 10:37
(Received via mailing list)
On Saturday, April 19, 2014 12:36:21 AM UTC+1, Michael wrote:
> I've been trying to install ruby on rails for the past 4 days. No tutorial has
helped. I even decided to switch from Windows to Ubuntu (both 12 and 14) to see 
if
that would help.
> Still can't get it installed.
>
> I am going to try to switch to Mac, but I have a bad feeling about it too. It is
pretty demoralizing when you try to do this for 4 days straight. I have had very
little sleep because
> I really wanted to get started.
>
> I asked for help on Reddit. I got several responses but those didn't work
either. I searched for help on youtube. That didn't help at all.
>
> I just signed up for a Rails forum. I am starting to think that it might not be
possible to install anymore in 2014. Is Ruby on Rails still a thing??

I help beginners get started with rails on a regular basis. I'd say step
1 would be to take a break and have some sleep - tiredness and
frustration lead to more mistakes. Then come back here with what isn't
working. There's no constructive answer to your problem at the moment
other than "yes it does work" or point you at another tutorial.

Fred
4c6bde00168d595053c09aac7e487f8e?d=identicon&s=25 Colin Law (Guest)
on 2014-04-19 11:14
(Received via mailing list)
On 19 April 2014 00:36, Michael <remnantsoftware@gmail.com> wrote:
> I asked for help on Reddit. I got several responses but those didn't work
> either. I searched for help on youtube. That didn't help at all.
>
> I just signed up for a Rails forum. I am starting to think that it might not
> be possible to install anymore in 2014. Is Ruby on Rails still a thing??

RoR is going strong.
It should be no great problem to install, though it can be confusing
if you don't get it right.  I recommend using a ruby manger, I use RVM
though I believe others prefer rbenv.  If you want to try with rvm
then in a terminal first install curl
sudo apt-get install curl
then
\curl -k -sSL https://get.rvm.io | bash -s stable --rails

That should install all the necessary dependencies, rvm, ruby and rails.

Note that when using rvm never use sudo for installing gems or running
bundle or anything similar.
Have a look at http://rvm.io for more information of using rvm.

Colin
4c6bde00168d595053c09aac7e487f8e?d=identicon&s=25 Colin Law (Guest)
on 2014-04-19 11:26
(Received via mailing list)
On 19 April 2014 10:12, Colin Law <clanlaw@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
> then in a terminal first install curl
> sudo apt-get install curl
> then
> \curl -k -sSL https://get.rvm.io | bash -s stable --rails

I should have said that is for Ubuntu (I am just checking it on 14.04
to make sure it still works, looking good so far).  Don't know about
Mac, though many Rails developers use them, Windows is generally not
recommended for Rails.

Colin
4c6bde00168d595053c09aac7e487f8e?d=identicon&s=25 Colin Law (Guest)
on 2014-04-19 11:47
(Received via mailing list)
On 19 April 2014 10:24, Colin Law <clanlaw@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I really wanted to get started.
>> though I believe others prefer rbenv.  If you want to try with rvm
>> then in a terminal first install curl
>> sudo apt-get install curl
>> then
>> \curl -k -sSL https://get.rvm.io | bash -s stable --rails
>
> I should have said that is for Ubuntu (I am just checking it on 14.04
> to make sure it still works, looking good so far).  Don't know about
> Mac, though many Rails developers use them, Windows is generally not
> recommended for Rails.

One more thing, after the install above edit the file .bashrc, which
you can do by running
gedit  ~/.bashrc
and add a line on the end containing

[[ -s "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm" ]] && source "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm"

then close any open terminal windows, re-open and you should be good to
go.

Colin
Aa082c8b00a50928e5860dcd70bf2368?d=identicon&s=25 tamouse m. (tamouse_m)
on 2014-04-20 03:17
(Received via mailing list)
I know how frustrating this part can be. I've been helping out with
some Railsbridge workshops, and the tutorial they have for the
"Installfest" seems pretty solid amongst people with no experience
installing or writing software.

http://docs.railsbridge.org/installfest/
Please log in before posting. Registration is free and takes only a minute.
Existing account

NEW: Do you have a Google/GoogleMail, Yahoo or Facebook account? No registration required!
Log in with Google account | Log in with Yahoo account | Log in with Facebook account
No account? Register here.