Forum: GNU Radio Re: Best way to output decoded data to user

739a038d5a03d5448114b3615e2caedc?d=identicon&s=25 Activecat K. (activecat_k)
On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 4:35 PM, Martin Braun
<martin.braun@ettus.com>wrote:

> On 04/15/2014 06:14 AM, Francois Gervais wrote:
> > I'm trying to figure out the best way to print the decoded data
> > information of packets (received through gnuradio) to the user. File
> > outputs are not really user friendly so I'm thinking of using a message
> > queue out of my decoding block connected to the WX GUI Terminal Sink.
>
> Generally: Don't use a message queue. Also, I recommend not adding any
> WX widgets, unless you hate QT, because we're trying to move away from
> them.

Moving away from wxWidgets?  Then replace it with what?
7d89a70df32c0ae27c1235016f9e5441?d=identicon&s=25 Marcus Müller (Guest)
B4ffbc711addde4c649b1ed526df6157?d=identicon&s=25 Martin Braun (Guest)
On 04/15/2014 04:32 PM, Marcus Mller wrote:
> QT, like Martin was saying :)

Right. We've discussed this on several dev calls, not sure if here on
the list.
In the far future, we want to focus on QT (for less dependencies etc.).
We (or rather, Tom for the most part) have been porting all features of
WX to QT the last few months, and on the current master, there's pretty
much nothing you can't do with QT you could with WX.

But don't worry, WX widgets will be around for a while, but we won't be
adding functionality, and will be officially marking them deprecated
them (most likely) in 3.8. *Maybe* they will go away in 3.9, but that's
a long way ahead, nothing definitive decided here.

Martin
558c40b97bd1af8d912424757714bda9?d=identicon&s=25 Marcus D. Leech (Guest)
On 04/15/2014 12:08 PM, Martin Braun wrote:
> adding functionality, and will be officially marking them deprecated
> them (most likely) in 3.8. *Maybe* they will go away in 3.9, but that's
> a long way ahead, nothing definitive decided here.
>
> Martin
If you thought the 3.6 to 3.7 transition was hard for people, doing a
transition where the WX widgets are no longer available will be
   even harder, by a significant amount.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator

>> WX to QT the last few months, and on the current master, there's pretty
> transition where the WX widgets are no longer available will be
>   even harder, by a significant amount.
>
> --
> Marcus Leech
> Principal Investigator
> Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium
> http://www.sbrac.org

Which is why the WX widgets will stay around for a long time. (Longer
than
I'd want, I'm sure.)

Tom
On 04/15/2014 06:14 PM, Tom Rondeau wrote:

> Which is why the WX widgets will stay around for a long time. (Longer
> than I'd want, I'm sure.)

Yes, we'll make it as gentle as possible.
Also, there's no reason for the WX widgets not to become an OOT. This
would make the transition even easier, and we might even be able to
provide a script to convert flow graphs to using the OOT with a couple
of seds.

Martin
104b263a577688e6cf59f06843a38e2d?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Ossmann (Guest)
On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 06:08:45PM +0200, Martin Braun wrote:

> But don't worry, WX widgets will be around for a while, but we won't
> be adding functionality, and will be officially marking them
> deprecated them (most likely) in 3.8. *Maybe* they will go away in
> 3.9, but that's a long way ahead, nothing definitive decided here.

That is good to know.  I use WX widgets in my class, including a video
series I'll be publishing shortly, because they are the default in GRC
and because of a few features of the instrumentation sinks.  Also
stability.

Mike
Existing account

No account? Register here.